Cannot access web-ui, Root user has their password disabled, but as there are no other users granted with a privilege of Local Administrator...

TensorVortex

Dabbler
Hi,
I upgraded to bluefin today, everything was great until I created some local users and local groups, and I received several warning about "Root user has their password disabled, but as there are no other users granted with a privilege of Local Administrator, they can still log in to the Web UI. Please create a separate user for the administrative purposes in order to forbid root from logging in to the Web UI."

At first I wasn't paying much attention to this, as I never disabled my root user password, I'm not sure what is causing this warning to show up. The web ui was still working at this point. However I believe I changed root user's group, and suddenly next refresh, the web-ui no longer shows username field, and shows this:
1672989988941.jpeg

However whatever I put in this password field, I would get a 'wrong username/password' and can't get into web-ui.

Now I still have SSH access through root and my other user. I checked groups and there is nothing in 'builtin_administrators'.
1672990105246.png

Tried adding user to that group, and reboot, and the group is empty again. Also you can see in the screenshot my builtin_administrators group id is 544, I remember on another thread someone is saying it should be <100. Not sure if it is related.

Also screenshot above, I have 2 user 'rosy' in builtin_users. how it happened I have no clue, is this the issue? I have tried removing it with 'gpasswd --delete rosy builtin_users', but after reboot it comes back. Basically all my edit of user or group doesn't get saved through reboot, is this intentional or my system is having problem?

addtional info:
1672990670387.png

Is there anything I could do through SSH to fix this? Anyway I can add a user to builtin_administrators through SSH?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1672990253774.png
    1672990253774.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1672990266768.png
    1672990266768.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1672991247440.png
    1672991247440.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

TensorVortex

Dabbler
Create a new user to use as root with midcli.
open SSH, type cli, type account, press enter, type user, enter, type ls, enter, you should see a menu like this:
1672994977770.png

Now if you type has_local_administrator_set_up and enter, you should see false.

Now create new user 'rooter' type create username=rooter full_name=rooter group_create=true groups=root,builtin_administrators password=1234, enter, and all i get is N/A.

However now if you type has_local_administrator_set_up and enter, you should see true. webui at this point is still broken showing new password and confirm password field, don't enter anything to the webui yet.

Now you need to exit cli, back to terminal, restart middleware with sudo service middlewared restart

webui should be fixed now, and you can login with user rooter and password 1234.

Next would be using the web-ui to add your own user to builtin_administrators and root group, and remove rooter user and group.

I have to go read the midcli github to try to figure out how it works, but i'm happy it's fixed.

Last edited: