Cannot access Web UI (it's blank)

MrKrok

Cadet
Hey crowd,

I am running FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core 13 on a small server at home for several years now.

Since about a week ago I cannot access the Web UI anymore. The machine itself seems to be accessible, as I get redirected from <IP> to <IP>/ui and the background color is correct. But after spinning for a few minutes, the browser stays blank, no message.

I don't think this is related, but replaced the two USB Sticks carrying my boot pool* recently, but directly after that, my Web UI ran fine. Just not for long...

Services are running, i can access the machine via SSH. I've tried (hopefully) non-dangerous thingsso far:
  • rebooted the system ;-)
  • restarted middlewared (as mentioned in another thread)
Both actions didn't help, but also didn't damage anything else as far as I've seen ;-)

As I am using BSD only via truenas (yes, another linux desktop user, I'm sorry ;-) ) I don't know any more tricks that could revive my web ui.

Do you, dear reader have some tips to
  1. find the root of my problem
  2. restart/reset something else to fix this?
Thanks in advance!

---
* Boot Pool on USB thumb drives:
I am aware that this is not recommended any longer, but my system has been running fine forever with this solution, so I didn't see a reason to change to an SSD just yet. My system dataset is on the storage pool so I hope the thumb drives will be fine. The old ones are still good after 5+ years :smile:

pschatz100

Guru
There is a reason why experienced users on the forum recommend small SSD's instead of flash drives for boot devices. The kind of problem you are describing is is exactly the kind of weird issue that comes up as flash drive boot devices start to go bad.

Recent versions of TrueNAS make a lot more writes to the boot device than older versions did, and this additional write activity "eats" flash drives. They just aren't designed for constant writes. If you have flash drives that are five years old, then you have been very lucky.

Without a description of the hardware and software version you are running, it really isn't possible to offer any suggestions. Click on the FORUM RULES at the top of the page for guidance.