Can the HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T run both FreeNAS and Pfsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjain

Dabbler
I'm looking for a Pfsense router and FreeNAS back-up server to get more experienced with FreeNAS and ZFS. Is the HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T a decent server to run both at the same time?
• FreeNAS
• Pfsense

It's not going to become my primary NAS, but will become my primary router. I'm looking for a budget solution, but FreeNAS is so difficult with hardware requirements (no AMD, watch out with virtualization) and currently the most important would be Pfsense, but it'd be great to be able to do both.

I haven't decided on how to run Pfsense yet either, perhaps install FreeNAS on the hardware and virtualize Pfsense, or learn about jails, or possibly ESXi, which I've used a lot, but seems to be always used with a pass-through HBA. I'm looking for a solution that's decently supported. I want FreeNAS and Pfsense to be up 99,5%+ of the time without having to look and worry about them.

I like that this HP server has an Intel CPU (supported), 2 ethernet ports (Pfsense WAN+LAN), ECC RAM and 4 disk bays (enough). I'm open to look at alternatives, but low power-usage is important to me and this box doesn't need to run any other VM's or do any Plex transcoding. I have another VMware server for that.

melloa

Wizard
I haven't decided on how to run Pfsense yet either, perhaps install FreeNAS on the hardware and virtualize Pfsense

Theoretically you can. FreeNAS installed on the HP and pf under bhyve. Mine is running on FreeBSD 11 with only one little config needed: Turn Serial Console on or you might loose the VM console after boot completes (web gui works fine).

What's the configuration for that box?

ujjain

Dabbler
I'm looking to buy a server that can do pfSense, but also FreeNAS with at least 2 SATA disks, preferably 4.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013UBCHVU

I'm mostly trying to find out if the hardware is going to play nicely with FreeNAS and how a Pfsense should be run on the same box, VM/Jail/Bhyve.

melloa

Wizard
My US$ 0.02?
Code:
RAM Size 4 GB

For FreeNAS min is 8 GB; add bhyve pfSense 2 GB; I'd have, at least, 16 GB.

I do have my reservations on celeron to run a NAS and a router VM; small case that could get the disks warm/hot, etc. I've found out that either you plan for a expandable set-up that will get you where you'd need to be in 5 years and plan the upgrades in phases, or you will be spending lots of money building boxes after boxes. I know, I did that.

Today I have one server running, one off line back-up, and five powered off, with all my servers now running on VMs.

That processor supports ECC up to 32 GB, but I'm not sure available slots on that motherboard. Also keep in mind it only has 2 cores/threads, so don't plan on running lots of VMs on it.

ujjain

Dabbler
Yeah, but how expandable can you call a set-up with these-day Intel Xeon's only supporting 16 PCI-e lanes, often motherboards have 3 slots.

HBA, 10Gbe network card, NVMe drive and you're done.

melloa

Wizard
HBA, 10Gbe network card, NVMe drive and you're done.

Just provided my US$ 0.02. If it fits you current and future needs, go for it :)

ujjain

Dabbler
I do see your point. I'll probably won't go for this server, but something a bit more flexible yeah.

warriorcookie

Explorer
If you already have it or you can get it cheap, and it's for home use, I say go for it.

Pfsense on separate hardware is always the most secure, but lots virtualize without issue.

Based on my experience, I'd use ESXI with an HBA and more than 8gb ram. (Minimum 8 for FreeNAS, 1 or 2 for pfsense/snort/vpn, and a bit extra for ESXI overhead) Of course, more the better.

I'd have a hard time trusting pfsense running inside a FreeNAS VM.

If you don't already have it and are looking to buy it.... I'd say look for something more expandable....

melloa

Wizard
Pfsense on separate hardware is always the most secure, but lots virtualize without issue.

I'm with you, but to save $ I did virtualize pf at home (FreeBSD 11/bhyve), so I think is also OK with FreeNAS as the appliance is built on FreeBSD.

ujjain

Dabbler
I just found out that the https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01BWLBUS6 did have 2 ethernet ports. I thought only 1 and cancelled my order. Now I re-ordered but there is no stock.

I'd like to have an E5 v4 with a low TDP because of the PCI-e lanes, but I'm really very bad at finding deals at eBay in the EU, except for millions of E5 engineering samples at super-cheap prices. But there to be something dodgy about getting engineer samples.

Also all Supermicro motherboards/servers that support Xeon E5 v4 CPU's seem to be sold for more than their retail price new on eBay.

I also really like the https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSM-F.cfm, so the list of options is:
  • HP MicroServer Gen 8
  • Supermicro Kaby-Lake Xeon with X11SSM-F
  • HPE ml10 G9 4U E3 – 1225 V5 (3.3ghz 4 °C) 8 GB 2133u SR
  • Supermicro Server with a E5 Xeon v4.
So obviously I have no idea what I want.

melloa

Wizard
Yeap ... too many options. I saw lots of pull outs here in craigslist yesterday. Do you have something similar around you? They had R-710 that you can flash the HBA to IT and have a good server grade for cheap.

ujjain

Dabbler
But electricity is so expensive in my country!

HiQzkHIm.png]

eVYkq40h.png

Calculator: http://www.verbruiken.nl/rekenhulp/bereken-verbruikskosten-apparaat#begin

Are there R710 servers that have any decent TDP as well? 30/40 would be ideal, but 60/70 I guess would be ok.
Every 100 watt extra monthly will cost $20 monthly, $240 yearly. Lots of tree hugging hippies in our government.

Dual X5660 is awesome in Passmark: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5660+@+2.80GHz
But the power usage over 3 years (dual CPU only) could be 95W*2 = ~$1440.

I care for nature and the environment and when I have to pay so much for energy, I care even more.
Are there are R710 that have 40/50 TDP CPU's?

ujjain

Dabbler
We do have Marktplaats in our country which is popular, but it's mostly individuals/non-companies selling.

The problem with that is that I wouldn't be able to get back the VAT via my company, which is around ~20%.

Stux

MVP
FWIW, FreeNAS and pfSense can work well side by side under ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.