Can I use SMB without AD Intergration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbalsam

Explorer
I wasted a good three weeks trying to get AD integration working. It worked for a week and now stopped again. Nothing changed.

I'm going to try one more thing before I buy a Synology box.

Can I use SMB without a remote active directory?

danb35

Hall of Famer

mbalsam

Explorer
Could you please provide a link to a tutorial?

Do I enable the Local Active Directory?

Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Could you please provide a link to a tutorial?
A tutorial for what? If you want to use SMB, turn on the SMB service and create a SMB share. What does Active Directory have to do with anything?

mbalsam

Explorer
How does a windows 10 user authenticate and map a drive without AD authentication?

Do i create users an groups on freenas and have the users enter that credentials in place of their windows username/password?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How does a windows 10 user authenticate and map a drive without AD authentication?
They authenticate to whatever authentication source you've set FreeNAS to use. If that's AD, they use the AD credentials. If another LDAP service, those credentials. If none of those, then yes, you'd create users and groups on the FreeNAS server itself.

mbalsam

Explorer
How can I disable AD from the GUI? I cant enter empty values in the AD screen.

Should I Delete the kerberos Realm?

If the user names and passwords from the windows local account and the freenas user account match, it all works quite seamlessly. I know that is kind of cheesy, but it works for me on FreeNAS 11.1-U5 with Windows 7 & Windows 10 stand alone machines.

mbalsam

Explorer
I've been down for 2 days since I cant figure out how to restart samba permissions. The system was working perfectly and just stopped.

Attempted to use non AD permissions and other systems won't accept the UNC path..

What i cant believe is that this is the same software that IXsystems sells to customers. I used a 5 year old Nexenta system that worked perfectly.

I have wasted so much time on this. Just a warning to others.

mbalsam

Explorer
And Im sure that IxSystem is not embarrassed about this at all. Now all I see people saying, well AD Support works, until it doesn't.

mbalsam

Explorer
So something is not right here.

On another thread, someone said 90% of TrueNAS installations use AD integration. And TrueNas and FreeNas are the same software.

Integrators cant make any money if they need to constantly deal with broken AD integration issues.

danb35

Hall of Famer

mbalsam

Explorer
I see. So Truenas NAS more up-to-date software.

mbalsam

Explorer
So if i bought a FreeNas Mini for $1000 would that be using the truenas software?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So Truenas NAS more up-to-date software.
No, TrueNAS is different software, heavily based on FreeNAS, with additional features and likely other differences.
So if i bought a FreeNas Mini for $1000 would that be using the truenas software?
No, it would be running FreeNAS, hence the name of "FreeNAS Mini". Of course, you can install any OS you want on the thing.

mbalsam

Explorer
Aha, the same broken shit. Thanks for the feedback. Synology. Here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.