SOLVED FreeNAS 11.1-U1 - Active Directories keeps reconnecting and SMB shares disconnect on regular basis

Status
Not open for further replies.

james88

Dabbler
Hi there,

I have a FreeNAS 11.1-U1 installation that has been running rock solid for several years now on an HP Microserver. It has been AD integrated since day one, and this has always worked really well with the old Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller that was on the network.

Today I build a new Windows Server 2016 Core based Domain Controller, migrated the Active Directory to it, changes the FSMO roles to the new server (and all appropriate DNS entries) and turned off the old server with a view to decomissioning it.

Once I had found that the hostname of the old server was hard coded under "Kerberos Realms" at some point in the past and rectified that, Active Directory integration started working again, and I can use all my normal SMB shares using AD authentication.

However, every couple of minutes or so, Active Directory says it needs to reconnect, and the FreeNAS status changes from OK to WARN (green light turns amber), but then back to green as the reconnect is always successful. During the reconnect, all active SMB shares are dropped which is really annoying if you have any open files.

Right now I can't see anything obvious in the logs, other than the re-connection, and to the best of my knowledge the new AD server is working correctly (and everything else that talks AD is authenticating correctly).

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before, or can someone please point me in the right direction to debug and resolve the issue? It only started with the move to the AD server so my immediate thinking is:
1. Something isn't correctly configured on the new AD server
- or -
2. There's some config on FreeNAS somewhere that needs to be tweaked that I haven't yet done.

Any advice gratefully received!

James

D

dlavigne

Is the Active Directory -> Enable Monitoring box checked?

james88

Dabbler
Yes it was. I have turned it off this morning and so far so good - it's certainly been stable for much longer than it was yesterday. Is this expected behaviour?

D

dlavigne

That feature provides a benefit for some environments, but not for others. Sounds like your environment is happy with it turned off. Let us know if the issue returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.