Active Directory authentication for SMB shares works for users but not for groups

Veite

Cadet
Hi,

I'm looking for some help with configuring Windows SMB shares with Active Directory authentication. I work on FreeNAS-11.3-U1. My setup is as follows:
Active Directory config:
freenas1_AD.PNG

LDAP config:
freenas2_LDAP.PNG

I guess it works correctly, because in ACL config I see a list of domain users and groups.

My goal is to create a Windows share and allow one AD group to access it. I created "test_share" with the following config:

owner: fuser (local FreeNAS user, doesn't have any permissions)
group: my_domain.local\freenas_test_group (I want this group to have the access)

ACL is shown on the image below. I believe changes took place, because the permissions for the share (when checked from the shell) are: d---rwx---
freenas3_ACL.PNG

This configuration doesn't work as I expected: it lets member of "freenas_test_group" log in to share, but creating folders causes some weird behaviours. When I created folder, a few of them appeared. When I tried to delete them, permission error was displayed (screenshot below). I checked from the shell permissions for the new folders, and they were: d---------. This behaviour occurs only with folders - I can create and modify files without any problems.
freenas4_ERROR.PNG

I checked one more thing: I added ACL with specific user ("freenas_test_user" on the next screenshot). In this case everything works fine. "Freenas_test_user" can create both files and folders normally and new folders have permissions: drwx------.
freenas5_ACL2.PNG

To summarize, this config works for AD user, but not for AD group. If anyone has any idea what the problem is, please share.

Attachments

• freenas4_ERROR.PNG
    freenas4_ERROR.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 347
  • freenas5_ACL2.PNG
    freenas5_ACL2.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 340

evan.newton

Cadet
did you ever get an answer to this, I am also having an issue with AD users working but not the groups

svennd

Cadet
I added group (not the group@) specifically then it works as one would expect.