Multi OS/Protocol filer(authentication with shares)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

Just trying to herd all the cats in the same direction with 1 password and 1 user name.

I am wondering if FreeNAS can be use to allow SMB, AFP, NFS3 and NFS4 clients to authenticate and access files with the user/owner/group working right.

Since no other OS supports end stations exposing snapshots but SMB/CIFS I am using SMB at the root, read write or read-only I have not decided yet. The top level access is ONLY for IT to get files for end users via a windows box, here is the structure :

SMB_Master(read-only IT access to snapshots via Windows)
+-AFP_Root(user/password on Mac server, OpenLDAP or Active Directory?)
+-NFS4_Root(with NFSv3 ownership using OpenLDAP or Active Directory?)
+-SMB_Root(SAMBA Active Directory 4.8 from a local iocage jail?)

What directory do I need to use that will allow UNIX, Windows and AFP? The SAMBA installed on 11.1u4 is 4.7 and I understand 4.8 is the version where you can do real AD controllers. I really do not want to create local users as this ties these users to the box and I can't add another FreeNAS box with the same users and accounts.

With this setup it would be important to be able to backup acls as one tool in IT could connect to SMB_Master and trash all permissions recursively. With SAMBA AD in 4.8 it is still a moving target and some things are said to never get fixed "OpenLDAP backend to SAMBA4 AD.

Thanks,
Joe

RegularJoe

Patron
no, it sounds like I just have to do it myself and test it. I will have to start by using FreeBSD 11.1 IOCage jails for each process and treat them like separate FreeBSD hosts but use the FreeNAS file system as storage, I am thinking about using SMB on FreeNAS for the IT group to get readonly access or access to snapshots to salvage files for users.

Status
Not open for further replies.