truenas Multi-protocol (AFP/SMB) shares has wrong options?

x130844

Dabbler
Created new smb share, I selected Multi-protocol (AFP/SMB) shares which locks the
"Enable Alternate Data Streams" option, which is good but if I check with testparm
I can see that this smb is showing file.
fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = netatalk
fruit:locking = netatalk

This doesn't look right, shouldn't it say stream?
Is the preset incorrect or am I missing something?
(truenas 12. U8.1)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Created new smb share, I selected Multi-protocol (AFP/SMB) shares which locks the
"Enable Alternate Data Streams" option, which is good but if I check with testparm
I can see that this smb is showing file.
fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = netatalk
fruit:locking = netatalk

This doesn't look right, shouldn't it say stream?
Is the preset incorrect or am I missing something?
(truenas 12. U8.1)
No. The parameters are right for this case. resource forks are written to a file, AFP metadata is written to a netatalk-compatible xattr, and other streams are written to xattrs per streams_xattr.

x130844

Dabbler
That said, AFP is being deprecated. You _really_ shouldn't be enabling this without good reason.
oh, the reason I use AFP / SMB is because most of the clients are macOS, they do support SMB, should I use instead the multi protocol NFS3/SMB? (I do have a few windows/linux around too). and make sure that stream is enabled instead of file. right?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
oh, the reason I use AFP / SMB is because most of the clients are macOS, they do support SMB, should I use instead the multi protocol NFS3/SMB? (I do have a few windows/linux around too). and make sure that stream is enabled instead of file. right?
It's better to just use SMB everywhere unless you have a specific good reason not to.