Can I access replication logs from the UI?

Darren David

Explorer
Hi all-

I set up a replication task with two machines on a LAN that was working successfully. I recently colo'd one of the machines. I'd like to confirm that replication tasks are still working - I'm not getting any errors, which leads me to believe "yes," but I'd like to be absolutely certain. Are successful replications stored in a logfile anywhere?

Bonus points - I don't suppose there's a way to set up the confirmation as an email notification, is there?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

artlessknave

Wizard
no errors means exactly that: no errors. unix rarely reports no errors since that means...there is nothing to report.
the best way to tell if your replication is working is to look at the destination and see if files are available as expected.

Darren David

Explorer
Makes sense, however, I'm not seeing files I'd expect on the remote side, and pf doesn't show any running zfs send/receive tasks, so it leads me to believe it's failing silently (a guess, not a certainty).

Darren David

Explorer
Ah! I did a test connection from the command line as per the guide and realized i needed to accept the new key (as the hostname had changed). And now we're back in action. So I guess I'm now wondering if this is a bug/error that should have been caught by the system....

artlessknave

Wizard
replication often doesn't mount the destination; try;
(sudo) zfs mount -a
and then check. you can also check if the snapshots are present
zfs list -t all
if the snapshots are there then the data is, you just have to get the data visible.
you can also clone a dataset and check it that way.

Darren David

Explorer
This was pure user error. I thought I had nightly snapshots set up, but in reality had them set up weekly. Which explains why replication wasn't happening nightly. <facepalm>