Can access web GUI but cannot access host through Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcravenufo

Cadet
I've got the network interface setup and have set the IP Address and can access the web GUI through that IP Address. However, I cannot access the host name through Windows Explorer. I had it working twice and each time I was not able to connect after I powered the FreeNAS pc hardware down. Any ideas why my web GUI connection is solid but trying to access through Windows Explorer is flaky?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Maybe be a NetBIOS issue...

Can you access using the IP from windows? Like \\IP\sharename or //IP\sharename (cant really remember the slashes lol)
Or mapping an unit (Z:) to the share...

mcravenufo

Cadet
I haven't explicitly tried accessing it via the IP but I did trying pinging it with the IP address and got no response.

Maybe be a NetBIOS issue...

Can you access using the IP from windows? Like \\IP\sharename or //IP\sharename (cant really remember the slashes lol)
Or mapping an unit (Z:) to the share...

mcravenufo

Cadet
Thanks for the tip on trying to access it through the IP Address. I was able to access my share using the IP but I cannot through the host name. What would be the cause of this?

Visseroth

Guru
I don't know if you got this answered or not but the problems would be DNS related. You may need to create a DNS entry in your router if it supports it. Check your IP scheme and make sure that your DNS is the same address as your router or gateway that way all internal DNS is being resolved internally instead of your machine trying to resolve it externally which does not work. If your DNS on your machine is not the same as your router or gateway then manually change it or reconfigure the router so that it serves up its own address for DNS. Once this configuration change is made then all your internal DNS will work correctly and for anything that is not internal (ie. google.com) then your router will resolve the address for your local network appropriately.

I hope this helps and isn't to confusing.

For your IP address information in Windows open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all
For linux or FBSD use ifconfig

mcravenufo

Cadet
Thanks for the explanation. I have not resolved it yet but your post has me going in the right direction. I think from that I will get it resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.