How can I set up access from a Windows PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor981

Cadet
Hello,

I am completely new to FreeNAS. I installed it on my system and now it is running and I have access to the web interface. But how I need to set up FreeNAS now that I can access my HDDs from the Windows Explorer Network? I hope someone will help me.

Regards
Razor

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor981

Cadet
I am stuck now at the Storage. I just get "No entry has been found" in the Volumes. But my BIOS detecting my HDDs and Boot USB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just get "No entry has been found" in the Volumes.
Have you created a volume yet? If not, then you need to. If you're having trouble with that, you need to give a lot more information about what's going on--the forum rules, which you said you read and agreed to when you joined earlier today, give examples of the kind of information we need to be able to help you.

Razor981

Cadet
No I do not created a Volume because the HDD do not show up in FreeNAS. And here are my hardware specs:
MB: HP 656941-001
CPU: Pentium G2130 @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz
HDD: 2x1TB Samsung HDD 2x500GB Seagate HDD no Raid.

Linkman

Patron
Do the drives show up under [Storage tab]->[Volumes]->[Volume Manager]? Or on the left hand tree view [Storage]->[Volumes]->[View Disks]?

Razor981

Cadet
No the HDDs are completely away on FreeNAS. But they show up in BIOS. Did FreeNAS need a specific format? Or did I do something wrong at the installation?

garm

Wizard
Sounds like there is no driver for your SATA controller, do you have a manual or specification for this board? My Google fu isn’t strong enough on this one.. some sites say Realtek LAN, others Intel.. it seams to be an OEM board. I did find some system docs for Compaq Elite 8000 series that seams to use the board and they empathize RAID capabilities. You need to ensure that the board is set to AHCI for the drives to properly show up in FreeNAS (given there is a driver for the controller).

I have built a few systems on OEM components (my latest is a Dell T20 build) and I usually stick to LSI HBA cards to bypass any creative use of standards from the OEM engineers (I work in a tech company so I see what the buggers do all day).

Razor981

Cadet
Yes it is a board from an HP Compaq Elite 8300. I do not have a manual but when I am at home I will look for the specifications. I just know this board got a Intel LAN no Realtek. And I will take a look into the BIOS for AHCI when I am home.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It's not clear where the drives "don't show up". They do not show up individually, just in the Volume Manager when creating a volume.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No the HDDs are completely away on FreeNAS.
Details, details, details! EXACTLY what are you doing? Exactly which screens are you going to? Exactly what are you seeing (ideally, with screen shots)? Sure, it's possible that the onboard disk controller just isn't compatible with FreeBSD, but that's pretty unusual.

If you go into the shell from the web GUI, what's the output of camcontrol devlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.