Added 3 disks now cant access the share through windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMAN48

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I've just recently set up a ZFS server. I'm running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950). I had it up and running nicely with a 3 x 3TB Raidz. Yesterday I used the volume manager to add 3 x 2TB Raidz to the volume.
It appears to have added the new hard drives no problem. The volume appears to be the same (but with more space and hard drives).

I didn't change any of the other settings but now I can't access the server or mount through Windows Explorer on any of my PCs. I can see it there but when I double click I get "windows cannot access \\freenas Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network..."

I have tried mapping the network drive using the IP address - no luck.

I have set ALL file permissions under /mnt/ to 777 just in case - no luck.

This is my first experience with Linxus and i'm stumped as to why I cant navigate there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
just to confirm, you had the samba share working then when you added stuff to your zpool the share stopped working?
The share shouldn't be affected by this, I'm guessing some settings somehow changed.
Here's some things you could check,
-ip of freenas (can you ping it)
-is the service shown as running in freenas webgui
-were any of samba's settings changed

BTW, FreeNAS isn't linux. It's running on FreeBSD

JMAN48

Cadet
Hi all,

Just some updates.
Joshua, yes I can ping it by IP but not by name. I updated the hosts file on my Windows 7 machine to get around that, but obviously that isnt a fix. Is there any reason why it wouldnt be able to resolve the name?
The CIFS service is running, and I have stopped and started it.
No Samba/CIFS settings were changed when I added the disks. I have tried a few things to get this working.
- changed the owner (user and group) recursively on the share to Guest.
- ive got allow guest logins (which I always had, but thought id let you know)
- workgroup name is the same as in Windows
- Guest account is set to "Guest" so the same user that owns all the files.
- authentication method is set to Anonymous
- turned off the windows firewall and the virus scanner as well

Doing these has let me map a network drive in Windows 7 now, HOWEVER it doesnt seem stable. Ill double click a folder or open a file and sometimes it works, and sometimes it throws a network error message. After the message I can click it again and it will open. Seems inconsistent.

Ive tried this from my laptop as well, and same behaviour.
From my Android tablet I cant connect at all either via name or IP - however it can see it.

It seems odd that I can see the server/share from all my devices, I can ping via IP, but I cant connect/have inconsistent connections.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :D

JMAN48

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm still having problems. After some research I did the following:

-i typed "zfs get sharesmb <my_share_name>"
-This said my share was off.
-I tried to turn it on using "zfs set sharesmb=on <my_share_name>"
-i got the following error "Unsupported share protocol: 1."
-The error wont let me turn it on.

Any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just to ask a dumb question... are you trying to use jumbo packets? If all of your network devices don't support jumbo packets odd network behavior can result(which you are seeing.. that's why I'm asking).

JMAN48

Cadet
No I'm not, however I spent all day playing with the settings and got it working. Not sure exactly what fixed it because I re-created the shares and users but I must have tweaked something.

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.