Need help by configuring FreeNAS to get access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svere

Dabbler
Hello,

first i tried to get support in the german forum, because i can give a better explanation. But the frequenz of users is very low. So i´ll try it with my limited english knowlegde here. Hope you understand!^^

First my List of Hardware:

Case: Mesh CD-01B-B
Powersupply: 350 Watt 80+
Mainboard: Intel DH67BL B3
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
HDD: 3x 500GB WD-RAID Edition
HDD: 1x 500GB alternate frame for Backups
Compact-Flash to SATAII-Adapter with 4GB Sandisk-Card for FreeNAS

After some tries, FreeNas is working nice on this constellation. I configured FreeNAS like it was explained on the FreeNAS™ 8 Documentation Project.

- First i changed Login-PW, set right country, added Gateway and DNS.

- Then i added a User like my Win7 Account and added him to the group wheel.

- Next step was to make a Volume, took ZFS and RAIDZ and added a Dataset. Both; the Volume and Dataset, i gave full permissions to my User and Group.

- Then i activated CIFS as Local User without any other change and added a Windows-Share -> path to the Dataset, browable to Netwrokclients and good.

In the Network i find the Share but cant login. I took the right Name and PW.

First time i configured FreeNAS, there wasnt any login-window. I dont know what i changed but suddenly i could get access without any Login, had full permissions.

To understand why it now worked (without login but with access) i deleted every change on FreeNAS, step by step, to look when i would get no access anymore.

But the only way to stop accessing, was to delete the share. So i decided to start FreeNAS with default-Settings and try it again.

Now im on the same place, cant get access to the folder. Is there somebody who can give support for this?

It would be great, when you can explain shortly why to do things, so i can understand what i do there.

Hope of your help.

Svere

Huuuh...the RAM...2 GB for ZFS is bad....that was the reason i tried it first with UFS till someone said i should better use ZFS... dont think so, but can that be the Problem for me?

ProtoSD

MVP
You absolutely need more RAM for ZFS, but that should be fine for UFS. I don't think that is where your problem is. I also had what sounds like the same problem with Windows 7 / CIFS, and someone else posted here in the English forums with the same problem. I am almost certain it was something I needed to change with Windows 7, but I can't remember what it was. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. I think this was some type of common problem with Windows 7 and CIFS and not specific to FreeNAS. I will try and think some more to see if I can remember....

ProtoSD

MVP
Svere, do you happen to have "Windows Live Sign In Assistant" installed on your computer? I did a search and I seem to remember it could have been this. Try uninstalling it if you have it installed and see if that fixes your problem. I'll keep looking, I'm still pretty certain it was a Windows problem.

ProtoSD

MVP
Here is another thread that suggests that: "Windows 7 uses SMB Version 2 and for some reason after Windows 7 detects Version 2 within the LAN it stops talking Version 1 to the rest of the machines."

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=64522

Even though that post is a little old, we all know how M$ tends to ignore problems or doesn't fix them quickly or at all. Anyway, just another option to explore.

Svere

Dabbler
Hi protosd,

thanks for your support! :smile: I know, there is a known Problem with win7 and other OS´s in the Network. Especially with Win7 and Win XP-Computer. There are a way to configure Win7 in the Networkmenü... i know the way in german, but in english... something like Network-Center->Advanced Settings. But in this Case there must be another Problem. I connected a Win XP-PC to the Network to try out the access over this Computer. It failed as well. Is there a wy to test the installed FreeNas-System.

Just in this moment i found out, when ive get access.

In the Share ive got to mark "Allow Guest Access". Then everybody on every PC in my network can access and has full permissions. But how can i limit permissions for users?

Hope this information is helpful, to find the prob.

Svere

Dabbler
Now spended the NAS one more 2GB-Module. So it runs with 4 GB at all. Hope thats enough!^^

I followed your Link and changed the Win-Registry as recommended. But it has no effects.

But how i told before, ive had the problem with Win XP, too.

Ive read, that you (protosd) commended to use the 8.0.1 Beta4 in the same issue. Should i use it as well, or should we try to fix the problem?

Hope for help! :smile:

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi svere, beta 4 did fix some permission problems that may help you. 8.01 beta4 still has other problems, but its the best of all the betas and is still stable enough to use. I saw a post that beta5 could be available today, or very soon. If it's not urgent, you might want to wait and try that. You also asked how you can limit access for users. If you look in the How-To section, I made an explanation of how you can do that there.

Status
Not open for further replies.