No RaidZ Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaark

Cadet
I purchased a HP Microserver N54L, 2GB RAM & 4 x 2TB WD Green drives with FreeNAS 9.1.1 installed onto a USB drive.

Through the GUI, I am in the process of creating the volume, however, under the ZFS Volume Manager there is no option for RaidZ. Mirror, Striped etc are all present but no RaidZ.

I am stumped as to why this is - any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hi.

2GB is not enough RAM for *ANY* FreeNAS 9.1.1 installation. The minimum recommended configuration has 8GB of RAM, as you can see in about 100 posts in this forum. And in any case, your pool will be 4-6TB of storage once this is configured, so 2GB of RAM is much too small for that. That's two reasons you are too short on RAM. If you proceed, you should be aware that you are almost certain to have performance, and/or stability, issues, that stem from your not having met the minimum stated requirements for FreeNAS hardware.

As to the problem you're experiencing, does the ZFS volume manager show you four disks? ada0, ada1, ada2, ada3 (or similar)? If you drag the little circle all the way to the right as far as it will go, it ought to put those four disks in RAIDZ2 configuration, automatically.

gpsguy

btw, while the doc's don't say it, you can put 16Gb in your N54L. I'm running 16Gb in mine.

maaark

Cadet
Thank you for your responses.

I was informed on another forum that 2gb was enough for what I was wanting the server for, alas, this appears to be not the case. I will stick in 8GB today.

The disks were able to be seen - in the ZFS manager they were grouped in a square. Moving the slider along so the disks lined up in a line gave the option for Raidz 1 & 2. Thank you DrKK.

Status
Not open for further replies.