Windows cannot access \\FreeNAS\Robirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

robirt55

Cadet
Hello, I have setup a FreeNAS system in the base ment and everything has goen relatively smoothely. I have run into one problem and that is when I try and connect with windows windows says

"
Windows cannot access \\FreeNAS\Robirt
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.
"

As usual with windows Diagnose does nothing, although, if I try and try again I can access the system now and then. This happens on multiple systems in the house running windows 7 and 8(intel and AMD systems)

The FreeNAS outputs the following... however I do not understand it.
Jan 8 12:35:30 FreeNAS smbd[4578]: [2014/01/08 12:35:30.445873, 0] smbd/service.c:1055(make_connection_snum)
Jan 8 12:35:30 FreeNAS smbd[4578]: canonicalize_connect_path failed for service Robirt, path /mnt/StorageDrive/robirt

Does anyone have any pointers or know how to fix this??
Any help is appreciated!!

JohnK

Patron
Can you provide more information? Have you ever been able to connect? Did you set up CIFS share? Anonymous? Have you added your IP as host?

robirt55

Cadet
yes, yes, yes, no, what?

I have been able to connect and I can still if I just keep trying it does not make sense to me. CIFS Shares is set up, I have accounts that have the same names as the windows users, and passwords that match as well. I have not connected anonymously should I try that? I do not understand what you mean by adding my IP as host?

Rand

Guru
How is your Share named? Robirt? and its pointing to /mnt/StorageDrive/robirt? (upper lower case?)

And is there only one system with the name freenas in your network? Is the DNS up to date?

JohnK

Patron
yes, yes, yes, no, what?

I have been able to connect and I can still if I just keep trying it does not make sense to me. CIFS Shares is set up, I have accounts that have the same names as the windows users, and passwords that match as well. I have not connected anonymously should I try that? I do not understand what you mean by adding my IP as host?

If you did anonymous as explained in the manual you had to add "Host allow" IP's.

Anyway, what you can try is to specify your server IP in your mapping, for example map to: \\ipaddress\Robirt and see if that helps.

robirt55

Cadet
How is your Share named? Robirt? and its pointing to /mnt/StorageDrive/robirt? (upper lower case?)
I played with the caps and there is no difference.

And is there only one system with the name freenas in your network? Is the DNS up to date?
Yes I only have one FreeNAS box

Anyway, what you can try is to specify your server IP in your mapping, for example map to: \\ipaddress\Robirt and see if that helps
Nope no luck =/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you setup jumbo packets or LACP/LAGG?

Are you using a Realtek adapter?

Post your system specs too.

JohnK

Patron
I would recommend trying anonymous and see if it work.

robirt55

Cadet
I have still been working on the server. Sorry for not responding. I have discovered that it is largely being cause by permission errors. I am now spending the day working on that. Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.