c2750 dead and no encryption key

Hi,

I have an asrock C2750 d4i which has given up - I'm now aware of the issues facing these boards but I was bought in 2015 so I doubt I will get an RMA.

Also, I have not got the encryption key backed up (yes I know you dont have to say anything I was bloody stupid)...

Theoretically if the disk data is fine I should be able to replace the mobo? I have 5 HDDs so can someone recommend alternatives? I am assuming I dont have to buy an identical mobo?

What would be the procedure after physical replacement of the board?

Thanks very much...

Hi, what version of FreeNAS are you running? I assume it is the build in your signature? It is worth putting that in the post body so that the post remains relevant even if your system changes.

You may have luck with just plugging in your drives to a new board and booting up. If all goes well and you're able to boot your system will find the encryption keys on the boot media and everything will work as expected. If, for some reason, that does NOT work you need to get the encryption key off the boot media ASAP before you reformat or do anything else with the disk. Do not reinstall FreeNAS or do anything of the sort on your boot drive until you have those keys in hand. They can be found in /data/geli. If I were you I would confirm that the key works and that you can import your pool in a functioning system before you do any reformatting, erasing, etc of your old boot disk.

Hi its 9.3x I believe before the mobo went down.

I have 5 drives striping data with parity. Is the boot media not encrypted? I don't even remember the password I for the encryption I did it so long ago.

I guess the priority for me is getting a mobo that can handle 5x HDDs which I can boot up at least then I can take a copy of the geli key etc.

Thanks

Is the boot media not encrypted?
Nope, the boot media is not encrypted.

I don't even remember the password I for the encryption I did it so long ago.
If you do not recall the passphrase and you do not have a backup of the recovery key you are out of luck.

I guess the priority for me is getting a mobo that can handle 5x HDDs which I can boot up at least then I can take a copy of the geli key etc.
Yes, I would get a board to plug your drives in to. As above, you need the key and the passphrase. Are you 100% you used a passphrase? If you didn't use one, the key will be enough. Do note the passphrase for your pool is NOT the same as your root login passphrase unless you set them as the same value.