Bulk transferring files

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, what appears to have happened is that you created a directory of /mnt/Data/Media/, put about a terabyte of data there, and then somehow created a dataset with the same name on top of it. Not sure how you did that, since the GUI tries to prevent that, but that's a separate issue. When FreeNAS mounted the dataset, it hid the stuff in the Media directory.
mv /mnt/Data/Media /mnt/Data/Media2

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
I'm not sure either. The files were all there before I added the new drive and they weren't after. I didn't create any new datasets. I did upgrade Freenas from 9-something to 11.1 while I had it open, could that have something to do with it?
Also, the million dollar question, is it safe to ditch the failing drive?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also, the million dollar question, is it safe to ditch the failing drive?
It should be, but I don't think I would until all the data is accounted for. The mv command I posted above should rename the directory to Media2. You should then be able to move everything from the directory into the dataset.

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
so I would remount the dataset? Is there an easier way to do that than rebooting?

[Edit]took a shot in the dark and zfs mount Data/Media. Here I go moving 1tb of data.[/Edit]

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
Okay, what command should I use? I opened screen and tried mv /mnt/Data/Media2/* /mnt/Data/Media/* but for some reason it moved every subfolder in Media2 except for TV inside of the TV folder.

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
Quick note for anyone following: Midnight commander moves the entire folder, /then/ deletes, which can be a problem if the folder is larger than your free space.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor