Bulk transferring files

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
My 2.5TB hard drive is starting to make complaints over SMART. I'm replacing it with a 4TB. What is the best way to transfer the files, Ideally with some kind of progress indicator? I don't need a progress bar, but a "bytes transferred" would help immensely. And yes, I know to use screen. I'm on FreeNAS 9, but my plan is to upgrade to the latest FreeNAS first.

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
Wouldn't that limit me to the size of the original pool? I also want to make it bigger because I'm using up most of the 2.5TB

garm

Wizard
Once you remove the small drive you should have the full size of the larger drive given the pool has autoexpand=on set

Ps just make sure the resilver is complete before you remove the old drive

Last edited:

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
Is there any way to know how far along the resilvering process is? I can't stand long processes with no progress indication.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Status is in the gui or zpool status.

garm

Wizard
Dunno if the pool status page will display a progress (never checked) but zpool status in the terminal will

Last edited by a moderator:

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
So the first 26 percent went by pretty quickly, but it has slowed to a crawl. It's currently at 43.68% and gaining a couple percent a day, even though the volume reads as healthy. Looking at the display attached to the FreeNAS box, I'm getting a lot of "CAM status: Command timeout" errors. Also, the entire dataset with all my movies is empty. I can replace it, with some effort, but is there any way to revive it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That's a disk failure. Either sata cable or disk. What didsk is giving you the errors?

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
ada2, the one that I'm replacing. Am I just going to have to wait for it to get past the damaged part and see what files I have left?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
ada2, the one that I'm replacing. Am I just going to have to wait for it to get past the damaged part and see what files I have left?
Ehhh not really. Your data is probably corrupt or inaccessible because the drive is dying.

garm

Wizard
Ya sounds like a broken pool. What is the output of zpool status? (In code tags please)

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
Code:
  pool: Data
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
		continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Mon Jan 29 14:59:55 2018
		1.22T scanned at 6.94M/s, 1.10T issued at 3.30M/s, 2.48T total
		1.10T resilvered, 44.33% done, no estimated completion time
config:

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		Data											ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  mirror-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
			gptid/6394b4c5-a1a9-11e3-baf0-e839352096e1  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
			gptid/d8ae43ec-052e-11e8-bc91-e839352096e1  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0  (resilvering)

errors: No known data errors

garm

Wizard
Don’t interrupt it, let it run.
But post the output of smart for the failing drive as well (in code blocks)

danb35

Hall of Famer
you should be able to add the new drive as a mirror to the pool and the remove the old drive from the pool.
I guess it's a little late to point this out (since OP's already done what you suggest), but a much simpler suggestion would be to simply replace the first disk with the second. No CLI work required that way.

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
I guess it's a little late to point this out (since OP's already done what you suggest), but a much simpler suggestion would be to simply replace the first disk with the second. No CLI work required that way.

Except that it's a single disk pool. I know that's a bad idea, but I don't keep anything valuable on there. Mostly just digital copies of all my dvds, so I can stream them over emby. That and anime music videos. If I can get emby to give me a list of everything I had on there I can replace it all in, like, a week tops.

I'll post the smart when I get home from work.

tvsjr

Guru
This is why everyone suggests doing a drive burn-in (badblocks, SMART tests, etc.) before trying to add a new drive into an array...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Except that it's a single disk pool.
And? You can still replace the disk. Power down the system, install the new drive, go to the GUI -> Storage -> click on your volume -> Volume Status -> click on your drive -> Replace -> pick the new drive.

Diekatzchen

Dabbler
And? You can still replace the disk. Power down the system, install the new drive, go to the GUI -> Storage -> click on your volume -> Volume Status -> click on your drive -> Replace -> pick the new drive.

Oh I get what you're saying. Yeah, that would have been easier. Oh well, next time.