Building Plex server on 24 bay+ (Supermicro 847/846)

cykor

Cadet
Hi!
I am moving from my Synology DS918+ becouse out of free space (4x8TB is not enought for me).

At the moment i found case (some like 120USD):
Supermicro 847
Motherboard : X8DTH-iF
CPU: 2x E5620
RAM: 32gb
PSU: 1x
Hard disk controller : SAS 9271-8i
NO HDD
NO HDD frames

or (some like 310USD):
Supermicro 846
Motherboard : X9SCM-F
CPU: 1x E3-1220
RAM: 16gb
PSU: 1x
Hard disk controller : SAS 9271-8i
NO HDD
NO HDD frames

From this I whant only case and replace MB and CPU to something newer to maybe transode (no GPU atm - and in 847 is hard to use GPU because of 2U space).
To replace MB, CPU, RAM and other parts i have extra 500UDS (620 USD total if you sugest something different than supermicro 847)

What more I should to know to not make mistake with building server?
Please help me build my dream Plex serwer!

For $500-$620 USD you're going to want to look at used boards, cpus, and memory I suspect. Does that budget also include your HDD budget?

With those two cases you're making a HUGE jump in terms of potential capacity. How must storage you need and how many bays you need depend on how much data you have now and at what rate you acquire data. For example, if you need 10TB storage now and create ~1TB of data per year you might be happy with fewer bays than if you had 15TB now and generated 4TB per year.

So, what is the total storage you want now? And how much storage do you think you'll need in 5 years or so?

NO HDD frames
Replacement caddies|frames can be a bit expensive. You might save a bit of money if you find a used system that has all of the caddies still and that has a motherboard, cpu, and memory you're happy to use.

cykor

Cadet
For HDD i have other budget :) (only what I am thinking naw is it worth to invest on SAS HDD or stay with SATA)
Naw I have 24TB (4x8TB Raid5) with no space left :(
I thinking about going to 100TBat least (but for naw i whant to buy 2 or 3 8TB HDD)

How much memory do you plan on using for that system?

cykor

Cadet
How much memory do you plan on using for that system?
I was not thinking about this at all. That much what i need to wark smoothly :)

When I was looking to change Motherboard on Supermicro 847 i found:
X9DRi-LN4F+2X Xeon E5 2690 + 16gb (for 330 USD)

But prefer to find something less power consumption.
Dont need to be Xeon. Any ideas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Get the 846

When I was looking to change Motherboard on Supermicro 847 i found:
X9DRi-LN4F+2X Xeon E5 2690 + 16gb (for 330 USD)

But prefer to find something less power consumption.
don't need to be Xeon. Any ideas?
all modern cpu's use exactly the same amount of power at idle. Just lower power cpu's take longer to actually get work done because they are limited.

cykor

Cadet
all modern cpu's use exactly the same amount of power at idle. Just lower power cpu's take longer to actually get work done because they are limited.
Is beter in this case use Xeon or go for example ryzen 7 3700x?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is beter in this case use Xeon or go for example ryzen 7 3700x?
With freebsd Intel is always going to be better. To many comparability issues with AMD. Both great CPUs though.

The more memory, the better. FreeNAS caches data in memory where possible in the ARC. The more data you have that you access frequently the more memory you'll want. Some folks opt for dual socket boards so they can get more memory in there.