Supermicro CSE-847 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster4

Cadet
Hello,

My first post here and I would like to start by saying thank you for building such a tremendous resource.

The purpose of the build is for home use. Storage of movies, music, pictures, documents. Streaming of movies via Plex for 3 users, will probably never see more than 2 active streams.

After doing some research here, I decided to purchase a Supermicro 847 from ebay. I wanted to start with a quality case and have plenty of room for growth.

Case: Supermicro CSE-847 ABC-03
Backplanes: 1x BPN-SAS2-846EL, 1x BPN-SAS2-826EL
MB: Supermicro X8DTE-F
CPU: 2x Intel E5640
RAM: 48GB 12x Mushkin PC3-8500
Drives: 8x WD Red 6TB (z2), 1x WD Green 120GB SSD (boot)
Extra NIC: Supermicro AOC-STN-I2S

I have already error/stress tested the CPU and memory, thankfully everything looks healthy. I believe my next step is to get a HBA with SAS so I can connect the backplanes to the motherboard and begin testing the drives. This is my first experience with SAS and backplanes so I would like to verify the necessary hardware.

Will the LSI SAS9211-8I be a good selection for the HBA? Will I need two SFF-8087 cables to connect each of the backplanes?

Any other general recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Bozon

Contributor
Will the LSI SAS9211-8I be a good selection for the HBA?

Yes that looks like the card that has been recommended in other recent posts, because you have PCI 2.0 and not 3.0. Check eBay for one that has been flashed into IT mode.

Also check some of the other recent posts by some of the experts. They have pointed to specific auctions for cards. They look like the run about $45 USD.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Will I need two SFF-8087 cables to connect each of the backplanes?
Two cables total, one to each of the backplanes. And be careful moving that chassis--it weighs a ton. Expect that if you ever start to fill the rear bays, those disks will be a bit warmer than those in the front bays.

Status
Not open for further replies.