24-36 Bay E-Bay Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For those who have taken this route in the past, what were the final results? Would I be able to run a combination of FAN-0074L4 and FAN-0104L4 to achieve enough cooling? Maybe 4 of 1 and 3 of the other? Should I just order 7x FAN-0074L4 and hope it's quiet enough or 7x FAN-0104L4 and hope there's enough airflow to keep things cool?
My experience is slightly different, but I took the high speed (5000 RPM) fans out of my Supermicro case and replaced them with fans that run about 1200 RPM. I put the replacement fans in exactly the same way the original fans were installed, which is to say, they are 3 pin fans connected to the hard drive backplane, not to the system board and they have no PWM control. They just run full speed all the time and it works. The hard drives still run cool enough (between 26c to 32c) to keep me happy.
The problem I had was with the passive heatsync on the CPU, there was not enough airflow to keep it cool, so I had to replace it with an active heatsync (one with an attached fan) which did the trick for the CPU. I also needed to rig a fan to blow on the heatsync for the SAS controller to keep it cool. After a few initial tweaks, it has been almost two years now, I have not had to work on them and they are quiet enough that I have two servers in my home office just six feet from my desk.

IronRobi

Explorer
Started receiving a memory error saying "Correctable Memory ECC @ DIMMG1". So my first thought was bad stick. So I swapped the stick in G1 with a stick in another slot and the memory error kept coming up as DIMMG1. Did some searching and found it could also be power supply related. Swapped the power supply back and same error in DIMMG1.

So on a hunch, since DIMMG1 was tied to CPU2, I swapped the position of the 2 CPU's. Instead of the error moving, the error has not come back at all. So I'm starting to think it was just a CPU improperly seated from shipping or something.

Long story to lead up to my actual question. When I look at the System Information page on Freenas I see
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650L 0 @ 1.80GHz. I THINK (although I didn't pay a lot of attention) that when I first fired up the system before swapping the CPU's it said 2 @ 1.80GHz, but I can't be entirely sure.

Does anybody else with multiple CPU's show 0 or does it show the number of CPU's they actually have?

Attachments

• cpu0.PNG
    cpu0.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 312

danb35

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So on a hunch, since DIMMG1 was tied to CPU2, I swapped the position of the 2 CPU's. Instead of the error moving, the error has not come back at all. So I'm starting to think it was just a CPU improperly seated from shipping or something.
I have seen a reseat correct errors. All it would take is one contact not being perfectly aligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.