Building a 'Little' storage box for first time

BulgarianHealer

Dabbler
Hello,

I have been using my personal PC for storage, but with the allocation of the HDD, I had to build something more serious. After looking for a user-friendly OS, I stopped on Truenas. So I started searching for MB, CPU, etc., after buying the components. I had to build a custom server case because buying a second-hand or new one for 24bays HDD is a F* nightmare because of the price.

What I bought for the system is:
  • MB: Huananzhi x99 f8
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699v3
  • RAM: 8x8GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850
  • HBA: LSI 9217-8i
  • BACKPLANE: 2xSuperMicro bpn-sas826a
  • EXPANDER: INTEL RES2SV240
  • COOLER: NH-U12S redux
  • FANS: 3x NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
as for the HDDs I have 12x4TB ST4000NM0023, 12x6TB ST6000NM0014 and some nvmes.

So the HDD are a mix of 6/12Gb/s and i don't think that's gonna be a problem.

For boot, I'm using 2x PC401 NVMe SK hynix 256GB, I have created two pools:

Pool 1: 12x4TB Seagate ST4000NM0023 and 2x PC401 NVMe SK hynix 512GB for LOG in mirror
Pool 2: 12x6TB Seagate ST6000NM0014 and 2x PC401 NVMe SK hynix 512GB for LOG in mirror

Both pools are in raidz3 in order to have time to fix possible single/multiple HDD failures in a short/long period of time.

Also in the feature, i think to buy one more HBA (with 8e/16e) and EXPANDER(maybe same intel) to create a new server case with custom HDD cages with SuperMicro bpn-sas826a backplane and another PSU.

My main question is the configuration good enough for video storage(+PLEX(transcoding with the cpu)) and VM's(small web projects) and do you think that there will be any bottleneck aside from the network card(i have plans to get 3x10gbps)?

Thanks.

NugentS

MVP
Why do you have a log (SLOG) vdev?
What do you think it will achieve?

BulgarianHealer

Dabbler
Why do you have a log (SLOG) vdev?
What do you think it will achieve?
1. The idea was to use SLOG was improve the writing performance(like a cache drive, maybe I'm mistaking it) over the SMB
2. Better and stable writing speed on sync.

Seems I have mistaken the whole way of what is SLOG and how it works, but ready to learn from others. :)

NugentS

MVP
A Slog only effects sync writes, essentially NFS and iSCSI. Does squat all to SMB
A Slog also slows things down, rather than speed things up. Its a data safety thing. It can speed up sync writes, but not as much as setting sync=disabled (although that isn't data safe in the event of an unexpected shutdown.) Note that a SLOG is not, never has been and never will be a write or read cache of any kind

Lastly and perhaps most importantly a SLOG has very specific and quite tough hardware requirements - which you are very unlikley to get from a consumer drive (you need enterprise hardware)

Very High Speed
Very high endurance - its always written to, and never read from under a steady state, and then only with sync writes
Power Loss Protection - this drives the enterprise grade hardware requirement. Or Optane 900p - which is close

I notice you mention VM's - are these external VM's or VM's on Scale. Either way VM's need IOPS, and you are running RAIDZn which is low on IOPS. VM's need mirrors. I would suggest taking those 4 proposed SLOG drives and setting them up as a 2*2 Striped Mirror and using them for VM's and then consider a SLOG, using appropriate enterprise hardware, for that pool. Also a SLOG is not pool critical so does not have to be resilient (although if a single drive fails at the same time as an unscheduled reboot that can be a problem). If a SLOG fails during normal use then apart from a slowdown it doesn't really matter.

BulgarianHealer

Dabbler
Welcome!

RAID Controllers? Have you flashed both to IT mode?
The LSI 9217-8i is with IR mode, I will flash it to IT in the upcoming weekend.

Firmware Product ID : 0x2714 (IR)
Firmware Version : 20.00.07.00

The expander not sure
Device is a Enclosure services device
Enclosure # : 2
Slot # : 24
SAS Address : 5001e67-7-be42-affd
State : Standby (SBY)
Manufacturer : Intel
Model Number : RES2SV240
Firmware Revision : 0d00
Serial No : x362541300
GUID : N/A
Protocol : SAS
Device Type : Enclosure services device

One backplane is fully connected to the expander, and 2 slots are for the 2-nd expander, and 1 slot for connection to the HBA, and from the HBA one cable is going to the 3-rd port on the 2-nd backplane.

BulgarianHealer

Dabbler
A Slog only effects sync writes, essentially NFS and iSCSI. Does squat all to SMB
A Slog also slows things down, rather than speed things up. Its a data safety thing. It can speed up sync writes, but not as much as setting sync=disabled (although that isn't data safe in the event of an unexpected shutdown.) Note that a SLOG is not, never has been and never will be a write or read cache of any kind

Lastly and perhaps most importantly a SLOG has very specific and quite tough hardware requirements - which you are very unlikley to get from a consumer drive (you need enterprise hardware)

Very High Speed
Very high endurance - its always written to, and never read from under a steady state, and then only with sync writes
Power Loss Protection - this drives the enterprise grade hardware requirement. Or Optane 900p - which is close

I notice you mention VM's - are these external VM's or VM's on Scale. Either way VM's need IOPS, and you are running RAIDZn which is low on IOPS. VM's need mirrors. I would suggest taking those 4 proposed SLOG drives and setting them up as a 2*2 Striped Mirror and using them for VM's and then consider a SLOG, using appropriate enterprise hardware, for that pool. Also a SLOG is not pool critical so does not have to be resilient (although if a single drive fails at the same time as an unscheduled reboot that can be a problem). If a SLOG fails during normal use then apart from a slowdown it doesn't really matter.
Okay, for the VM's will stash those 4 nvmes.

oordonezm

Cadet
What I bought for the system is:
  • MB: Huananzhi x99 f8
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699v3
  • RAM: 8x8GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850
  • HBA: LSI 9217-8i
  • BACKPLANE: 2xSuperMicro bpn-sas826a
  • EXPANDER: INTEL RES2SV240
  • COOLER: NH-U12S redux
  • FANS: 3x NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
Please, can you share the purchase links for your components? I plan to build the same thing, and how is it working with the Huanazhi x99 f8 motherboard?