SOLVED Building a FreeNAS box for file sharing and storing backups

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I'm new to FreeNAS, ZFS and FreeBSD, but experimented with Linux sysadmin. I'm looking to build a FreeNAS box. That box will have two uses in an SMB : files sharing for the office and storing backups.

Could you tell me if I'm in the right direction with theses components?

Like you can see with the posted links, I'm buying from Canada. Let me know if you find some components I could swap to lower the bill.

Thanks!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Almost certainly overkill on the processor, but you don't say what the usage will be like. Some of us have found that replacing the stock Intel fan really doesn't accomplish much.

I don't recall seeing many people using that MSI board, and would choose Supermicro long before anything made by MSI. Many Supermicro boards have built-in video with an ASmedia chipset and so no additional video card is needed.

Link aggregation does not work like most people expect. There is an article on it here... somewhere. Also, Supermicro boards would have Intel gigabit adapters built in.

Power supply seems like it's not of the same level as the rest. Gold is worth it, at least in some brands. I've used a couple of the EVGA G2 models with no complaints, and Seasonic is popular.

baummer

Dabbler
Does your networking equipment (switches/routers) support LACP? If not, I don't think you'll able to setup link aggregation on your NICs.

Stux

MVP
If you're going to go for x99 you should consider an E5-16xx processor. The 2603 is quite slow st single threaded work-loads and this can affect smb.

If you don't need x99/e5 consider a skylake X11 from supermicro board.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

The box will serve a Samba share for about 50 users, host a crashplan server (desktop backups) and a burp server (server/vm backups).

This is my revised components list.

Two notes about this revised list:
  • I found that Intel Core i3-6100 supports ECC. Should I use the i3 instead of Xeon E3-1220V5 to lower the bill?
  • The motherboard has only 8 SATA ports. I miss one port for the boot drive. I'm not very comfortable with the use of USB flash drive for the boot drive. I could add a PCI-E SATA controller, but this seem overkill just for one port. Any idea?

EDIT: replaced power supply

Last edited by a moderator:

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

The box will serve a Samba share for about 50 users, host a crashplan server (desktop backups) and a burp server (server/vm backups).

This is my revised components list.

Two notes about this revised list:
  • I found that Intel Core i3-6100 supports ECC. Should I use the i3 instead of Xeon E3-1220V5 to lower the bill?
  • The motherboard has only 8 SATA ports. I miss one port for the boot drive. I'm not very comfortable with the use of USB flash drive for the boot drive. I could add a PCI-E SATA controller, but this seem overkill just for one port. Any idea?

EDIT: replaced power supply

For pure backups you could probably get away with a Core i3, but the Xeon looks good. SSD as a boot drive is pretty nice.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I made changes again.
  • Replaced the motherboard. This one have a M.2 port I will use for my boot drive.
  • Replaced the case. This one have 8-bay hot-swap for the storage drives.
  • Replaced the power supply. Lowered to 550W, should be enough.

The revised list:

I think I'm not too far from my final configuration.

What do you think about Hitachi Deskstar NAS 7200 RPM vs WD RED 5400 RPM?

ccssid

Explorer
Hello,

I made changes again.
  • Replaced the motherboard. This one have a M.2 port I will use for my boot drive.
  • Replaced the case. This one have 8-bay hot-swap for the storage drives.
  • Replaced the power supply. Lowered to 550W, should be enough.

The revised list:

I think I'm not too far from my final configuration.

Everything looking good. WD Red will give a little less heat and a little less noise. Very similar to my setup. I would say up the xeon to e3 1230 v5 to get 8 threads, but noticed you have to pay quite the premium up there in Canada.

f4242

Explorer
Also considering the FreeNAS Mini XL. The custom build is a little bit cheaper and would be easier to repair, but I like the idea to buy a turnkey box ready to be used.

What do you think?

ccssid

Explorer
if yo
Also considering the FreeNAS Mini XL. The custom build is a little bit cheaper and would be easier to repair, but I like the idea to buy a turnkey box ready to be used.

What do you think?

If you're asking me ?? Build your own, of course.

GBillR

Contributor
  • Replaced the power supply. Lowered to 550W, should be enough

Are you sure about that P/S? with 8 drives and the 80w Xeon, you may be close. Also, I personally use those Corsair P/S for my desktop builds, but I'm not sure I would trust them for a server build. I also second the 5400 Reds. They are plenty fast for NAS use, and will generate a lot less heat.

And lastly... I have read bad things about Kingston RAM in the forums... not sure if anyone has used that RAM on an X11 board, but you should try to find out.

f4242

Explorer
Are you sure about that P/S? with 8 drives and the 80w Xeon, you may be close. Also, I personally use those Corsair P/S for my desktop builds, but I'm not sure I would trust them for a server build. I also second the 5400 Reds. They are plenty fast for NAS use, and will generate a lot less heat.

Why not?

Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 10W - 80W
Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-LN4F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 15W - 60W
Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 11W - 11W
Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 4W - 20W
Intel 600p Series 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 2W - 10W
Total: 81W - 332W

Do I miss something?

And lastly... I have read bad things about Kingston RAM in the forums... not sure if anyone has used that RAM on an X11 board, but you should try to find out.

I hope it will works, I just made the order :D. Kingston says it's compatible (the motherboard is in their compatibility list).

ccssid

Explorer
Why not?

Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 10W - 80W
Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-LN4F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 15W - 60W
Intel 600p Series 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 2W - 10W

Do I miss something?

I hope it will works, I just made the order :D. Kingston says it's compatible (the motherboard is in their compatibility list).

Even if you go the 35w per drive at max surge at startup....numbers still look o.k. As I mentioned earlier in a thread, I went over my setup with the tech dept at Seasonic and they reassured me that I was well within the limits of 550w (and , of course, I did my own math). BTW....did you purchase the Hitachi hdd yet ? If not, really reconsider WD Red

f4242

Explorer
Yep all components are on order. The NAS will be stored in a server room with A/C. I think noise and heat should not be a problem. I read some review and performance of Deskstar NAS are very comparable with WD Red Pro.

ccssid

Explorer
Looks
Yep all components are on order. The NAS will be stored in a server room with A/C. I think noise and heat should not be a problem. I read some review and performance of Deskstar NAS are very comparable with WD Red Pro.

Looks like you are good to go....congrats. will you be going with 9.10 or corral ? Which case did you end up with ?

f4242

Explorer
The case is SilverStone SST-CS380 for the 8-bay hot swap.

I think I will start with 9.10. I have both installed in VM. 9.10 seem to work great, but I can't even join our AD domain with Corral (I opened a ticket about that).

GBillR

Contributor
Why not?

Do I miss something?

Nope - Looks like you're good to go. I would be safe and hold 25W per drive, and then add in a 1.25 fudge factor, but that's me. Even doing so (as @ccssid stated), it looks as if you're good. Just wanted to offer the backup.

Let me know how that RAM works for you. It's much cheaper than the Samsung RAM, which is anywhere from $150 - $200 / 16 GB.

Good luck with the build!

f4242

Explorer
The build is completed.

Memtest passed w/o problem.

Currently testing my drives.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

f4242

Explorer
Yes it work great since then. I have two identical builds on two differents sites. I even built a third one for use at home (with an i3 instead of Xeon). The case feal a little cheap (tray all plastic), but work fine and I didn't found better anyway.

I had some little issues when configurating FreeNAS (it's my first builds), but always found a way arround.The only remaining problem with the motherboard. When I reboot the server, it often fail to reboot without a power cycle (stuck at "0x17=DIMM Not Present"). Supermicro asked to try to update the BIOS but didn't had time yet.