Updating my NAS Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
You need something to boot the console to. FreeNAS itself does not need a GPU, but it needs a way to display the console.

My comment, however had nothing to do with FreeNAS and rather discussing hypervisors. FreeNAS is not a hypervisor. If you have a Linux box that is acting as a KVM only hypervisor, you need a video output of some kind to manage the host or you will lock yourself out of the system. This doesn't necessarily mean a dedicated GPU, it could be a built in video display on the motherboard, which is still technically a GPU.
Ah, yes I get that. Was meaning from what my googlefu tells me the only way to get to console would be ssh.

Are you saying it wouldn't even be able to boot at all without a GPU?

Because the above build doesn't include it and if I do end up buying the supermicro build I would only be able to access console through IPMI anyway.

I suppose I can test if KVM with linux and hope it would work like I want it to after unplugging my W10 ssd and then using an old laptop hdd to install W10 to.

But that would defeat the purpose of asking for help in finding parts for a FreeNAS build if it worked I suppose.

It would probably be safer anyway if I didn't do that and if support does come to FreeBSD and then the FreeNAS Devs decide to take it up it would be an interesting future feature.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The motherboards that have ipmi, have a built in video adapter. That's why there is a VGA port on the back of the motherboard.

When you talk about consumer desktop systems, most of them will not boot at all without a GPU of some sort

Pheoxy

Dabbler
The motherboards that have ipmi, have a built in video adapter. That's why there is a VGA port on the back of the motherboard.

When you talk about consumer desktop systems, most of them will not boot at all without a GPU of some sort
Even if its being taken after boot? Although that comes with its own issues.

I should probably make a different thread for this.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Even if its being taken after boot? Although that comes with its own issues.

I should probably make a different thread for this.
I don't think you understand.

There is nothing 'being taken after boot'. FreeNAS is NOT a hypervisor. Do NOT confuse this fact.

Most consumer motherboards (desktop gaming crap) will not boot without some way to display video. Whether that is built into the motherboard and CPU or a dedicated GPU.

You absolutely do NOT want to set up a hypervisor and give the ONLY GPU to a VM. It will not end well, and you will lock yourself out of the hypervisor. If you are going to pass through the GPU to a VM (which by the way requires specific hardware), you will still need a GPU/Video output of some sort on the host.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
I don't think you understand.

There is nothing 'being taken after boot'. FreeNAS is NOT a hypervisor. Do NOT confuse this fact.

Most consumer motherboards (desktop gaming crap) will not boot without some way to display video. Whether that is built into the motherboard and CPU or a dedicated GPU.

You absolutely do NOT want to set up a hypervisor and give the ONLY GPU to a VM. It will not end well, and you will lock yourself out of the hypervisor. If you are going to pass through the GPU to a VM (which by the way requires specific hardware), you will still need a GPU/Video output of some sort on the host.
Fun, well I'll table that.

More research for that, I'll stick with building a nice stable NAS for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.