BUILD Build suggestion with ASRock C2550D4I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Be aware that RAIDZ1 is not for important data. Too many people have had trouble with RAIDZ1.

Roland

Dabbler
Hello Eric,

Thanks for the reply. You are also using a X10SLM board with WD RED's, the same i also plan to use. So you use RAIDZ2 with 6 disks? And 4 are connected with SATA3 and 2 with SATA2? And this is without performance lost?

Regards,
Roland

marbus90

Guru
I hope you don't plan on z1. It's too risky with drives bigger than 1TB. Utilizing "consumer" drives like the Red, you're likely to see a Read Error during rebuild of the only redundancy drive and the data is lost. Therefore at least z2 on 6 drives.

There's no performance difference between Sata 3Gbps and 6Gbps for HDDs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello Eric,

Thanks for the reply. You are also using a X10SLM board with WD RED's, the same i also plan to use. So you use RAIDZ2 with 6 disks? And 4 are connected with SATA3 and 2 with SATA2? And this is without performance lost?

Regards,
Roland

It's not a problem. I guess there's a very small performance penalty for stuff that the drives have cached. Given that each drive has up to 64MB of cache (some of which is certainly used for general drive activity), and that FreeNAS' ARC is at least two orders of magnitude larger, the impact is minimal.

Roland

Dabbler
Mmm, i had planned (and budget for) 4x 3TB Reds and 2 SSD´s, so it seem to be that it's better to go for 6x 3TB and USB boot for Freenas. Any other things i can do to lower the price? If i think about it there are no other parts to change or discard to save money for 2 extra disks, is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.