AsRock C2550D4I mini ITX replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

forfiter

Dabbler
My NAS Asrock C2550D4I mini ITX motherboard just died, so I am looking for a replacement recommendation.

Ideally I would like to keep everything else, so I would like a motherboard in mini ITX factor that could use the 64GB of DDR3 UDIMM ECC RAM I have there, should have 6 SATA3 ports, should have some iKVM/IPMI and (if possible) fanless CPU, or one with very small and silent fan. If keeping the RAM would limit my options excluding some awesome motherboard, then I would be willing to give it up and buy new ECC RAM if needed.

What's out there that you would recommend? Thanks in advance!

colmconn

Contributor
Have you contacted Asrock rack to see if they'll replace it for you? There's a known hardware fault in the C2000 SoC family used those boards that eventually causes them to fail. Newer boards have the fault corrected.

forfiter

Dabbler
Have you contacted Asrock rack to see if they'll replace it for you? There's a known hardware fault in the C2000 SoC family used those boards that eventually causes them to fail. Newer boards have the fault corrected.
I haven't, but I know what you are talking about, and I have patched/updated mine not to be prone to this failure. This time the motherboard is just dead, far outside of its warranty period.

colmconn

Contributor
There are two issues with this board.

The first was the issue where the BMC repeatedly wrote to itself and eventually resulted in the BMC becoming non functional. This was caused by software and was fixed by an updated BMC firmware. I suspect this is what you are talking about when you mention patching your board.

The second is a hardware fault that is not possible to fix except by replacing the board. Asrock rack extended the warranty on these boards (exactly how long escapes me, but Google will find it for you). Contact them, tell them they symptoms and it's possible they'll replace the board for you. You've nothing to loose by asking them if they'll replace the board based on the symptoms it exhibits.

Redcoat

MVP

forfiter

Dabbler
There are two issues with this board.

The first was the issue where the BMC repeatedly wrote to itself and eventually resulted in the BMC becoming non functional. This was caused by software and was fixed by an updated BMC firmware. I suspect this is what you are talking about when you mention patching your board.

The second is a hardware fault that is not possible to fix except by replacing the board. Asrock rack extended the warranty on these boards (exactly how long escapes me, but Google will find it for you). Contact them, tell them they symptoms and it's possible they'll replace the board for you. You've nothing to loose by asking them if they'll replace the board based on the symptoms it exhibits.
I've just sent the support request about that, but I don't expect them to provide the replacement (if they will at all) anytime soon, so I still need replacement recommendation, as I need to have my NAS operational :)

cods69

Explorer
Last edited:

forfiter

Dabbler
So, Asrock told me they won't do anything about it, which gets me to square one again - what motherboard currently would be the best fit for a replacement that suits my needs? I've been living without working NAS for over a month now and I need to be able to back up my machines (and get back my data!) asap. Proposals?

Redcoat

MVP
Well, the C2550 and C2750 are still in Asrock's line. The failures many of us experienced were not of their making and their response to most seems to have been very good, so if their features fit your needs, in your shoes I would seriously consider going with one of those again.

If Asrock doesn't do it for you then I think you're in Supermicro territory - I don't know the product designations off the top of my head but there's at least one detailed build report on the forums here.

Good luck with your project!

forfiter

Dabbler
Well, the C2550 and C2750 are still in Asrock's line. The failures many of us experienced were not of their making and their response to most seems to have been very good, so if their features fit your needs, in your shoes I would seriously consider going with one of those again.

If Asrock doesn't do it for you then I think you're in Supermicro territory - I don't know the product designations off the top of my head but there's at least one detailed build report on the forums here.

Good luck with your project!
After Asrock died on me just like that and then flat on refused to support faulty product, I don't want to go with the same one again. Not to mention that years passed and I'd want to get something more performant than the 3 years old Atom.

Would you have a link to that Supermicro build you're talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.