ASrock C2550D4I NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLc

Cadet
Hello,

Let me start by saying that english is not my first language and that I am definitely not a NAS expert.

I currently own an old iomega NAS with 2*2TB. I feel the need to upgrade to a new NAS for several reasons:

- Transfer rates are slow
- I have almost no space left on the HD (2TB in total in Raid 1)
- I would like to use "plugins". The iomega NAS being a few years old, it is impossible to upgrade its software.

I have recently been going through some of the forum pages and found out about the ASrock C2550D4I.

I am going with the 4core version since, from what I've read, I don't feel the price difference with the 8core version is justified (or at least I don't feel the need for it at the moment)

So here is the build :

Case : Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Motherboard + Processor : C2550D4I
RAM : Crucial 2*8GB

I left out the Power supply on purpose.

The idea is to start with 2*3TB WD Red and then add more drives on the go.

A few questions :

- I have never built a NAS from scratch therefore I know nothing of the power consumption of the equipment. For a NAS with up to 8drives what kind of "Gold" power supply should I take?

- If I add more drives on the go (start with 2, then 3, then 4, ...), will it be able to expand the total capacity of the system without losing any data?

Thank you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
- If I add more drives on the go (start with 2, then 3, then 4, ...), will it be able to expand the total capacity of the system without losing any data?

See my newbie guide (it's a sticky in the new to freenas section). That will answer this question and about 1000 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.