Asrock C2550D4I replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosabox

Explorer
My FreeNAS build is running on an Asrock C2550D4I mobo.
Reading about the pretty high possibility that the mobo (CPU to be specific) suddenly dies (Avaton CPU bug), I'm afraid and I want to have a plan "B" ready.
The mobo runs 12 month now (watchdog disabled from the beginning) but the warranty here is only 24 months and if/when it dies I want to be ready.
Now the question - what is the best alternative mobo that:
1) fits in the SilverStone DS380 case
2) is compatible with 4x 8GB modules of Crucial 16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL11 ECC Unbuffered Dual Voltage (CT2KIT102472BD160B)
3) has 10 SATA ports or a slot for a LSI HBA

m0nkey_

MVP
Since this is a known manufacturing defect, ASRock Rack will cover it. You could try contacting them to perform an advanced RMA (they put a hold on your credit card) to send you a replacement board before it fails allowing you time to replace it and return the old board.

cods69

Explorer
I'd like to have this option too. I'll put it to them and report back on what they say, but I fear us Australians will not get far, looking at other posts around.

Moppen

Dabbler
Wow ... I just wanted to browse the Forum with a glas of wine to see if it is secure to Update to FreeNAS 11.1 and then I found this thread. And later that.
My night is completely ruined, now knowing that I have a ticking timebomb in my cubby. Phew! I already "took action" and contacted Asrock Rack what to do if my Board dies or if there is anything i can do to prevent it (BIOS/BMC-Update, maybe FreeNAS Update)?
I hope they will answer ... i have saved up to the board for a long time and now, if my board dies, i will not have any way to replace it. Jeez, this is really a buzzkill

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, many of us here have been though this, receiving warranty replacements even when the board is outside the original warranty agreement. See this thread for some of the experiences. Search for "Avoton" or "C2750D4l" or "C2550D4l" to find many other pieces of relevant information.
Good luck!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
iXsystems was great in terms of recognizing the problem and shipping me a replacement Motherboard in less than a week.

Dealing with ASRock directly may not be all that bad either - just find the reps that have been mentioned here and get the process going. However, I wouldn't expect most OEMs to replace gear in advance of failure. iXsystems is replacing mine because the system actually became non-responsive.

So go ahead and enjoy the wine until the system hangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.