Build advice needed for Plex server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpavlock

Dabbler
Hi there, first time posting here so hopefully I don't break any rules :)

Looking at this server to basically be able store a bunch of media and handle a good amount of 1080p transcodes. Ideally it will last me the foreseeable future (~3-5 years).

CPU: Dual Intel - Xeon E5-2660 V2 2.2GHz 10-Core Processor ($100)
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRL-iF ($320.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: 4x8TB WD Red (~$160 each)

Notes / Questions:
  1. RAM - Currently looking at 4x8GB for 32GB of RAM. Trying to decide between this Nemix and this Samsung. Thoughts? Haven't heard much about Nemix.
  2. Storage / Pool - Looking to add either 1 or 2 more HDDs for a Z1 or Z2 VDev respectively. It's my understanding that Z2 would be safer, so that's what I'm leaning towards.
  3. CPU Cooling - Looking at both passive and active heatsinks.. price difference is about $8 to go for the active. What do you think?
  4. UPS - I'm keeping my server in Florida -- in an area known for thunderstorm power outages. However, I'll be away from the server almost 90% of the time due to travel and school so I'm not sure how I can safely turn off my server if I'm not there. I guess I could go for a UPS that can keep my system alive for a few minutes and hope the power will come back by then?
  5. Boot Drive - Is a internal SSD suggested? I have the bay slots for one, but they aren't common in low GBs (<32). Otherwise I'll probably just go with a 8 or 16GB USB stick.
  6. Budget - max is $2000
Thank you in advance! Very excited to build my own server!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Haven't heard much about Nemix.
Neither have I. And that's bad.
It's my understanding that Z2 would be safer
Correct.
CPU Cooling - Looking at both passive and active heatsinks.. price difference is about $8 to go for the active. What do you think?
Active is better, so might as well, assuming they're comparable.
UPS - I'm keeping my server in Florida -- in an area known for thunderstorm power outages. However, I'll be away from the server almost 90% of the time due to travel and school so I'm not sure how I can safely turn off my server if I'm not there. I guess I could go for a UPS that can keep my system alive for a few minutes and hope the power will come back by then?
Worst-case, it turns off after a few minutes, assuming it's setup correctly.
Is a internal SSD suggested?
Yes.
but they aren't common in low GBs (<32)
Meh, just get a 120GB one. It's the best solution, in my book.

jtpavlock

Dabbler
Ericloewe,

Neither have I. And that's bad.

Looks like I'll just go with the Samsung... as long as there aren't any issues with buying the sticks individually.

About to go pick up two more :)

Active is better, so might as well, assuming they're comparable.

My thoughts as well... I'll go with the active.

Worst-case, it turns off after a few minutes, assuming it's setup correctly.

I've never actually bought a UPS before.. any recommendations for capacity in this case?

Meh, just get a 120GB one. It's the best solution, in my book.

I'm inclined to agree with you since you obviously know a lot more than I do about this stuff, but what makes it worth the cost differential from a USB?

Thank you for your help.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Youll want unbuffered ram. That samsung you linked to is registered.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Jailer,

Why is that exactly? My motherboard supports both.. is there a downside to registered?
Registered is slightly higher latency. Doesn't make much of a difference, so get what's cheaper and validated.

what makes it worth the cost differential from a USB?
Assuming you have enough SATA ports, the main advantage is reliability. Plus, you get much better speeds when updating or manipulating boot environments. It's a good bargain, as long as you don't have to buy an SAS controller just to make this viable.

I've never actually bought a UPS before.. any recommendations for capacity in this case?
Output power must be higher than what the server might possibly need at any point. From there, it's more difficult. APC has runtime vs load charts for their units, so that's a good place to start.

jtpavlock

Dabbler
Well this looks like this will be my final build. I'm excited to put everything together!
It might be a tad overkill, but I like the flexibility and I managed to stay under my budget :) (surprisingly not always easy for me to do).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: 2x Intel - Xeon E5-2660 V2 2.2GHz 10-Core Processor (Purchased For $50.00 each)
Boot Device: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - SSR3-140-WT 56.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($9.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: 6x Western Digital - easystore 8TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $159.99 each)
UPS: APC - BR1500G UPS ($154.99)
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRL-iF ($320.00)
RAM: 4x Samsung M393B1K70CH0-YH9 8GB PC3L-10600R DDR3-1333 ECC 2RX4 ($127.96)
CPU Cooler: 2x Supermicro CPU Heatsink Cooling for LGA2011 SNK-P0048AP4 ($69.50)
Total: $1892.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-30 20:33 EDT-0400

Thank you to Ericloewe and Jailer for your responses. If there is anything else, please let me know. Otherwise I plan on pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's a god price on those hard drives. Make sure you test and burn them in thoroughly before you shuck them so if you have a bad one you can return it.

jtpavlock

Dabbler
That's a god price on those hard drives. Make sure you test and burn them in thoroughly before you shuck them so if you have a bad one you can return it.

Been waiting around to build a server, but the recent BestBuy sale convinced me to make the jump. I'm just glad I got in because it looks like the sale ended (even had some price arguments today at the store).

I'm a little stuck with the burn in. Currently all I have is a laptop, but I move around with it so I can't attach a HDD to it for an extended period of time. I guess I could at least run some of the shorter SMART tests?

Whooo wait, you bought "External" drives??? Please tell us that is a misslink and/or typo....

Otherwise hope they can be pulled from the cases and work, which will void the warranty or that you can return for a refund. USB drives are not good to use with FreeNAS.

Redcoat

MVP
Whooo wait, you bought "External" drives??? Please tell us that is a misslink and/or typo....

Otherwise hope they can be pulled from the cases and work, which will void the warranty or that you can return for a refund. USB drives are not good to use with FreeNAS.

Look here for recent background ...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure how I can safely turn off my server if I'm not there.
You don't; you configure the server to turn itself off when the battery gets low. This requires a compatible UPS, of course.
I'm a little stuck with the burn in.
Wait until you get the rest of your gear, plug the drives into the motherboard, and away you go.

jtpavlock

Dabbler
Ordered everything today! I'll be anxiously awaiting over the next 1-2 weeks while all the parts roll in.

I want to thank everyone for their help planning, and I'm sure I'll be back on these forums as soon as I try setting it all up :) In the meantime it looks like I'll be digesting as much info as I can to ease the setup process.

Status
Not open for further replies.