BUILD Budget NAS For Home File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize I hurt some feelbads. I Started my initial sentence with "Just my two cents", Never said I know more than you. Next I reported the success I had with my system for readers of this forum, informing them that it does work. After that I said I was tired of people stating non server hardware will not work (I never said it was not better.)
Immediately after pirateghost responded mean spiritedly.
Next ericloewe took my report as an attempt to call everyone who participates in these forums are idiots. I did no such thing.
pirateghost states that you see more failures than you hear of successes. This is natural, people generally join these forums because they are having an issue, not because things are working normally.

My beef today and the bullshit I was calling is the hostile experiance you provide to anyone that does not shell out the $$ for server hardware for a movie server.
Answer people's questions and give them a warning (politely) or don't answer at all.
Don't ridicule people for providing information, even if you don't think their method is the best.
Good day sir!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I apologize I hurt some feelbads. I Started my initial sentence with "Just my two cents", Never said I know more than you. Next I reported the success I had with my system for readers of this forum, informing them that it does work. After that I said I was tired of people stating non server hardware will not work (I never said it was not better.)
Immediately after pirateghost responded mean spiritedly.
Next ericloewe took my report as an attempt to call everyone who participates in these forums are idiots. I did no such thing.
pirateghost states that you see more failures than you hear of successes. This is natural, people generally join these forums because they are having an issue, not because things are working normally.

My beef today and the bullshit I was calling is the hostile experiance you provide to anyone that does not shell out the $$ for server hardware for a movie server.
Answer people's questions and give them a warning (politely) or don't answer at all.
Don't ridicule people for providing information, even if you don't think their method is the best.
Good day sir!
Please allow me to QUOTE your first post.
Just my two cents, I have an old gaming machine with 3 Gb of ram (Originally had 2). I have had absolutely zero issues with it, have upgraded several times and am on the current version of Freenas, and usually get around 75+ MBPS transfer speeds. I have 3 x 3TB WD Red drives and am very happy with my setup. I could probably get more throughput with more RAM, but I am happy with its performance now. Please stop making it sound like Freenas is not capable of running on anything less than modern server hardware.

Emphasis is mine....

Now, considering the number of issues we have seen (and some of us have PERSONALLY dealt with) regarding improper hardware, it would behoove you to understand that experience speaks volumes about why we recommend what we do.

Nobody has ever said that it WILL NOT run on lesser hardware. In fact, we KNOW it will. But guess what? When you go into production (your home/family data is still considered production), then you run a risk of losing it all when you use less than recommended hardware. We have seen it, we have lived it. We have felt the pain of users losing YEARS of pictures, videos, documents, irreplaceable files, all because they wanted to skimp on proper hardware and backups.

My comment? "I LOL'd. Good luck with your stability."

That was because I have been exactly where you are. "I saved XXX dollars by reusing my old gaming machine and only run with 4gb, you guys are crazy for recommending any more...., it works fine for me." Until one day, it didn't any more (after over a year of it working fine). My RAM went bad, and guess what happened to my entire ZPOOL? It was corrupt. Bye bye files. Considering I am smart enough to keep backups of the important stuff I wasn't fazed by it, so, I got a proper server and moved on. Learned my lesson.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When you go into production

I love that I've gotten a bunch of non-IT-diehards/home-users/hobbyists/hackers/whatever to use the term "production." ;-)

Anyways, the long and the short of this all is that, yes, we know other things "work" - often for values of "work" that include "can fail, unexpectedly, catastrophically."

I've run FreeNAS on 1GB of RAM on a virtual machine and y'all can suck on that.

The whole point here is not that it CANNOT be done, as @pirateghost points out, but that it SHOULD not be done. If you are here, on ZFS, on FreeNAS, we assume that it's because you value your data. We do not want to be responsible for guiding users to catastrofail solutions. If I give advice, I will give advice about things I'm confident in, usually things I've actually done.

We also strongly discourage users with anecdotal evidence of success from promoting solutions that are known to fail, without providing a warning to that effect.

So I watched very carefully for a year as we saw 4GB and 6GB configurations that failed mysteriously for people, resulting in some pool losses, instability, etc. Many others worked just fine, I'm sure. I was the author who changed the manual, upgrading the minimum RAM required from 6GB to 8GB. We still don't know exactly why less didn't always work correctly, but the evidence was that the problems vanished at 8GB.

We understand the problems with ECC, or with Realtek ethernets, or any of the other things we like to harp on. We're not necessarily saying these things won't work, but there are known issues, for certain. You can absolutely make a FreeNAS box run on a random pile of crap (* note, no longer x86) but the results may be less than spectacular, which is why some of us have spent so much time and effort trying to document what DOES work well.

So please chill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.