Budget HBA card for first TrueNAS System

Aliquis

Cadet
Hi, working on setting up my first proper NAS, I've set a few up with just one or 2 hard drives on linux, but would like to get one with more storage. Right now I have a Quanta Stratos S210-X22RQ (I know, not the greatest, but didn't want to spend the money for a newer server right out of the gate) with 6 3TB hdds. However due to some issues with getting replacement fans, I only recently got TrueNAS actually installed, only to find that my specific server came with a LSI 9260-8i without any support for IT mode or JBOD. I've been looking on ebay for a cheap replacement HBA, and found this IBM 5110, which seems like it would work, however I'm confused as researching it here I found exclusively threads on how this specific card isn't good, yet I also found a listing for a LSI 9207-8i, which appears to be the exact same card, and searching for it here shows that it works perfectly fine for hard drive based systems. is the IBM labeled card, actually different enough to not work, and should I go with the LSI branded one instead, or should I go for something else entirely, such as this SuperMicro card or a LSI 9210-8i instead?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The 5110 is an IBM rebadged LSI high end RAID controller, if memory serves. Historically, this has not been compatible with FreeNAS/TrueNAS, but I believe that recent developments have enabled people to crossflash IT firmware onto it, which should make it compatible. The LSI cards all use a similar architecture and the main differentiation is stuff like onboard cache, BBU/supercap, and flash backup for the cache. Putting a firmware on the card that ignores those things turns it into a more basic card. If it can actually run IT firmware, then it may be fine. I'd still make sure to remove the battery so we don't get the Patrick Kennedy exploding battery issue.

Redcoat

MVP
recent developments have enabled people to crossflash IT firmware onto it

See https://lazymocha.com/blog/2020/06/05/cross-flash-ibm-servraid-m5110-and-h1110-to-it-hba-mode/