on board SATA upgrade to RAID CARD with HBA mode

SOONTAI

Dabbler
hi, all

Now I use on board SATA, mode ZFS2
I think upgrade to RAID CARD HBA mode
I look other user say direct change RAID CARD.

But I am a little worried.
I want to confirm the correct steps to replace the raid card.
Could someone please guide me?

And I think use LSI 9300-8i no 1G memory , Recommand?
I refer to the following information, it seems that memory is not recommended. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks in Advance for any help!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Why do you want to upgrade?

SOONTAI

Dabbler
Why do you want to upgrade?

There are 10 users at the same time every day, and 1.2TB~1.6TB of data is written.
I think after the upgrade, the data writing time may be faster.
The current network bandwidth is 2Gb, 10 users user
(1Gb)---> hub (2Gb)---->(2Gb) TrueNAS Server

My English is very poor, I hope you can understand my explanation.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
This upgrade will almost certainly not help you.

We need a detailed description of the use-case and your budget. Without this information it will not be possible to give targeted advice.

SOONTAI

Dabbler
This upgrade will almost certainly not help you.

We need a detailed description of the use-case and your budget. Without this information it will not be possible to give targeted advice.
oh , I see.
The reason why the upgrade did not help is because the transfer rate is lower than the transfer rate of the hard disk and it is not a SAS hard disk?
So it is still recommended to use on-board SATA?

So what is the main reason for using raid card?
Because I think many people will use raid card.

Generally speaking, I use RAID CARD because I want to build a safe and fast disk array. But TrueNAS only uses hba mode, but raid card is recommended, which confuses me.

My budget usd$100~250, SATA H.D.D. 2TB x4

SOONTAI

Dabbler

Thank you for the resources, I have seen it before, so I know that RAID CARD needs to be converted to HBA MODE.
Today I read the first description carefully. My perception is that if I no longer expand the hard disk or SAS/SATA mixed use,
I do not need to upgrade to a RAID CARD at present.
Is this idea correct?
So does RAID CARD HBA MODE still need memory?

With respect to cache, ZFS will use system RAM. When I look at my memory utilization, most of it is used by ZFS. RAID cards also prevent direct access to the drives; thus, SMART data is not available to ZFS and ZFS needs to know drive health. (There is a difference between what SMART data is available between SATA and SAS, though - search the forums for the threads.)

Basically, stick to HBAs in IT mode such as LSI (and other LSI cards branded IBM, Dell, etc. that can be flashed to IT mode).

ChrisRJ

Wizard
IMHO the discussion about which controller/HBA is irrelevant for the original problem. The OP's motivation for considering adding such a card was the assumption(!) that the on-board SATA ports are the bottleneck. Unless the board is so old that it is the bottleneck itself, the bandwidth of the SATA ports will be more than sufficient for any hard disk. Without more details I do not see how targeted advice can be given

SOONTAI

Dabbler
IMHO the discussion about which controller/HBA is irrelevant for the original problem. The OP's motivation for considering adding such a card was the assumption(!) that the on-board SATA ports are the bottleneck. Unless the board is so old that it is the bottleneck itself, the bandwidth of the SATA ports will be more than sufficient for any hard disk. Without more details I do not see how targeted advice can be given

Yes , I think the on-board sata port may be the main bottleneck.
Thanks for your reminder.

I need the following answer more :
>>>I want to confirm the correct steps to replace the raid card.<<
>>>Could someone please guide me?<<<

SOONTAI

Dabbler
With respect to cache, ZFS will use system RAM. When I look at my memory utilization, most of it is used by ZFS. RAID cards also prevent direct access to the drives; thus, SMART data is not available to ZFS and ZFS needs to know drive health. (There is a difference between what SMART data is available between SATA and SAS, though - search the forums for the threads.)

Basically, stick to HBAs in IT mode such as LSI (and other LSI cards branded IBM, Dell, etc. that can be flashed to IT mode).

Thank you for your reminder, this message is also very important.

ChrisRJ

Wizard