Status
Not open for further replies.

guttural

Dabbler
Hi there,

previous hardware:

ASRock T48EM1 AMD A50M So.BGA Single Channel DDR3 Mini-ITX Retail
8GB G.Skill NT Series DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9 Single
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe 1x LAN Adapter (did not work without this, I think because of the shite LAN-chipset of my noob motherboard)

new hardware:

ASRock C236 WSI Intel C236 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 Mini-ITX Retail
Intel Pentium G4400 2x 3.30GHz So.1151 BOX
16GB (1x 16384MB) Hynix HMA82GU7AFR8N DDR4-2400 ECC DIMM CL15 Single

I now wanted to boot up the system using the same FreeNAS USB drive I used previously with version 9.10.2-U6 on it (my disk array is the same and it is being recognized as far as I can tell from the boot sequence texts). At boot-up the system now freezes at "loading kernel modules". After I press CTRL + C it continues while giving me a bunch of ACPI errors. DHCP requests fail (they always failed for me, also with the previous set up, so I had to set up a manual IP previously before, so that is not an issue at this point). Subsequently, the booting sequence continues and freezes again at "starting mdnsd". I again continue with CTRL + C. I now reach the Console setup screen where "no configured interfaces were found", which I know already. So this apparently is the first part of my problem (not sure, you guys will be able to tell what's going on).

I ignore the previous boot problems and try to set up a connection manually by going throgh the steps for both interfaces (igb0 and em0, since I have no clue which is the right one):
1) Configure Network Interfaces (tried DHCP once, but it fails)
No interface name
IPv4: 192.168.178.26 (which was my previous IP for the NAS)
Subnetmask: 225.225.225.0

Still: no configured interfaces were found. Curiously, my router web interface tells me that a device called freenas (I named it that in the previous setup) is online with the IP-adress 192.168.178.49. I try to access that IP via Firefox and get this message:

An error occurred.
Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

I reboot the NAS from the console. Again the same boot problems appear as specified above. Additionally, before freezing at "starting mdnsd" it says "WARNING: failed to start nginx". I continue with CTRL + C. The NAS is still not available in the network.

I now shut down the system and add my Intel networking card into the PCIe slot and try the same procedure as specified above with this one (setting up the IP address manually etc.). Now the same "An error occurred" message pops up when I try to access 192.168.178.26. I reboot again and again and everything is the same again (including the "An error occurred" message as I try to reach .26. So I guess the nginx whatever that is did not fail to initialize this time. But still, the NAS is not available. It does respond to pings through the terminal of my laptop though.

I know this was a bit lenghty, but I hope that a detailed description will help you help me. I would much appreciate some help in setting up this bad boy again.

Thank you very much in advance!

guttural

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
If it responds to ping but not http then it sounds like the web UI is set to an interface/address. Did you try to "reset" the interface in the console?

ngix is the webserver that runs the GUI. If you ctl+C that, the webUI will not come up. Also on 11.1-U4 network changes from the console do not persist after reboot. I dont know if that was the case in 9.10.2.

guttural

Dabbler
Okay, after a clean install of FreeNAS-11.1-U5 everything worked flawlessly. IP showed up immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.