Boot Volume State is Degraded...what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_sangiorgio

Dabbler
Hi all,

My fresh FreeNAS-11.2-BETA1 build shows a "Boot Volume State is Degraded" error.
My boot drive is a WDC WDS120G2G0B-00EPW0 (WD Green 120GB SSD on m.2)

I've read in the following threads:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/boot-volume-state-is-degraded-how-do-i-fix-this.66575/
and
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/35065#note-9

Where it looks like it's a problem related to TRIM and the firmware in these SSD drives.

Now, the suggested 'workaround' was to disable trim using this command:
vfs.zfs.trim.enabled=0
Where do I issue this command? Or in which config do I alter this?

Is a complete reinstall now inevitable? seeing as I haven't yet configured a backup of the boot volume.
If so, what's the best way to save as much as possible from my running config before I reinstall?

Many thanks,
Alex

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Just save the config from the System section. Tick the box for the secrets. nothing else on the boot drive really matters if you have been redirecting your system dataset to another volume as is recommended (and frankly even if not, you just won't have the charts going back before you reinstall).

don_sangiorgio

Dabbler
Just save the config from the System section. Tick the box for the secrets. nothing else on the boot drive really matters if you have been redirecting your system dataset to another volume as is recommended (and frankly even if not, you just won't have the charts going back before you reinstall).
Thanks, did so just now.
I have a jail setup on my data pool, I assume that will still exist after a reinstall?

Alex

sretalla