boot scrub not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
1 Automatic scrub interval (in days)

Last Scrub Run on: Fri Jan 8 19:40:03 2016

why is the scrub not being done daily ? it's only scrubbed once when i ran it manually.
is there a limit to how often the boot scrub runs?

ethereal

Guru
starting scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' - 3:45 this morning - i'm an idiot

joeschmuck

Old Man
My system runs a scrub on "freenas-boot" pool once a month (35 days) which I believe is the default unless that was changed. I'm not sure I'd want a scrub once a day as if I recall correctly, writing does occur and this would wear out any USB Flash or SSD drive prematurely. A traditional spinning hard drive would not be affected in such a way.

Last edited:

ethereal

Guru
okay - thank you.

i had read another thread where they (thought) that it was pure reading.

i'll set it to 7 days

joeschmuck

Old Man
I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

So I looked into it some more and it appears there is some data is written but it's data dealing with the scrub operation, not your actual data unless there is of course an error. So it's not severe however it is writing data. I wish I could tell you how much data specifically as this would give some sense of the overall impact to the storage device. If you're running a SSD, I wouldn't worry about it (yes I retracted that part), but a USB Flash drive, I'd definitely not do a scrub once a day.

ethereal

Guru
i did have my usb boots scrubbed every 3 days - it took less than a minute and a post said there were no writes.
the ssd was finishing almost instantly - i only have about 540mb on it.
my thoughts were if there is no wear on the drive during the scrub and it took less than 1 minute to do then i'd be warned of any problems quicker.
i'm happy to run the boot scrub weekly like my data pools

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's really up to you. As for the freenas-boot pools, again, 35 days is the default but you can of course choose more frequent. Regardless you should maintain a copy of the configuration file in a safe place in case you need to rebuild the boot device for whatever reason. I have been running my FreeNAS for quite a while and my configuration never changes except for when I do a software upgrade. At that point I make a new configuration backup. My overall configuration isn't very complex but I really don't want to do it all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.