Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrunkko

Cadet
First of all, I want to advise that English isn't my main language. So, for that, I apologize because it's very rusty.

Second, I read the forum rules and tried to get as much information as I could (I don't use UNIX systems). So, I researched before posting this (I realized you guys don't like people just asking for help withou further information - :D)

Ok, I have a freeNAS machine that I've built from old PC parts (yeah...). To be straight the configuration is:

System Specs:

Build:
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314
MotherBoard: ECS G31T-M7
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 3072MB (memory recognized is 3036MB)
HD: 1 x <ST1000DM003-1CH162 CC49> ATA-9 SATA 3.x device
Network card: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX>
Boot/instalation media: <Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP> Removable Direct Access SCSI-4 device - 14887MB

OBS.: "Network card", "HD" and "boot/media instalation" are outputs from dmesg | grep -i rl0 and dmesg | grep -i da0, respectively.

As far as I know I'm running freeNAS in a machine below the specs (at least for RAM).

But the point is: from the very first time I start the machine, the system freezes at the point shown in the image attached (or here in case of disappearance)

xxz3hAC.jpg

(Oh, yes... the text is "overflowing" the monitor and I don't how to fix that :()

The weird is that if I just press the reset button or just reboot the machine (not power off) the machine boots normally.

As the machine isn't that masterpiece of hardware I shut it down eventually (due to the age of the parts and its power consumption). Actually, I don't need it up all the time.
But when I need to power it up I'm lead to the same scenario and I have to reset the machine to get the thing work as expected.

I know I have a hardware below the minimum but why it works pretty well after the rebooting (and only after it)? I don't want to reboot this machine every time I fire it up. My main goal is to power up this machine via WoL (which is already working) but with this behaviour I can't use it as I expected.

So, can someone help me? I have saw some threads with this similar behaviour but nothing worked to me.

Oh, sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong place. I didnt find a "Problem solving" or like section.

Since now, I would like to thank you you all guys!

garm

Wizard
What is the purpose of this machine? Surly you don’t intend to store valuable data on it?

cabrunkko

Cadet
What is the purpose of this machine? Surly you don’t intend to store valuable data on it?
Well... The initial intention was to learn how to get it done. I always heard about a NAS and I just want to learn it. After I installed it I started to store some personal files (like videos, courses, books, photos, etc, music, movies) and make it some kind of a personal cloud, for example and access it from outside home. I don't need it up all the time (that's the reason for WoL). I use it to store data and don't worry to rush to save files from my computer when I need to reinstall a new OS for example. I also create OS images to restore in my computer when needed.

That's pretty much it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like the boot device is on its way out. Not that the rest of the system comes close to meeting the minimum requirements, but it's your immediate problem.

cabrunkko

Cadet
Sounds like the boot device is on its way out. Not that the rest of the system comes close to meeting the minimum requirements, but it's your immediate problem.
You mean like... it's dead? Need replacement? I was wondering if the problem is some misconfiguration since I just reboot the PC and the whole thing works just fine. Every time is the same procedure: press the power button, wait until the boot freezes (in the same step shown in the picture), press the reset button and boom: it works.

I mean if it were the boot device it would not even start and be recognized, right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was wondering if the problem is some misconfiguration since I just reboot the PC and the whole thing works just fine.
Not unless the BIOS settings have been messed with.

I mean if it were the boot device it would not even start and be recognized, right?
Mass storage devices have more failure modes than I can count. If they always failed cleanly, we wouldn't need ZFS.

cabrunkko

Cadet
Not unless the BIOS settings have been messed with.
Ok... I guess it's not the BIOS. I just made the flash disk (that contains the freeNAS installation) the first and only bootbale device. I figure if isn't any boot misconfigiration in the OS. Is there a way to check it?
Mass storage devices have more failure modes than I can count. If they always failed cleanly, we wouldn't need ZFS.
Hm... if you're right this would be really strange to me...

I don't know if it helps but I have two plugins installed: Emby and Tramission. I think that this makes no difference because the problem occurs at the boot of the media. Is there a log or something that I can generate?

Remembering that the problem occurs only when I first power on the PC. Then I have to press the resset button and it boots ok. Could it be some trouble in the shutdown process? I mean when I access the web GUI and hit shutdown does the system store some information while turning the PC off that somehow changes when I start it up (or even in the middle of the shutdown, what make more sense) and do the first boot and the forced restart forces the OS to search for something? I really don't know. Just wondering....

Status
Not open for further replies.