Weird Boot Behavior with Redundant HBA's and Boot Drives

UserSN

Dabbler
I'm getting some weird boot behaviors post FreeNAS installation, below are all the steps I've taken to test my system. I don't understand why it's behaving the way it is. My only avenue to check at this point is if possibly on one of my storage SSD's i have some sectors where an installation was previously that a wipe through the FreeNAS UI didn't completly erase. Although i'm not sure why this would matter if i have my 2 boot drives specified in the HBA cards.

1st: Install FreeNAS on my 2 boot drives (SSDs) without any storage drives in the machine

2nd: Load into FreeNAS & verify my mirror boot installation, it was healthy.

3rd: Shut down the system & remove my primary boot drive then power-up: The machine booted fine and showed degraded Mirror pool for the boot drives (this is what i was expecting)

4th: Shut down the system & reinstalled primary boot drive, removed secondary boot drive and then power-up: The machine booted fine and showed degraded Mirror pool for the boot drives with primary back and secondary down (this is what i was expecting)

5th: Shut down the system & reinstalled both boot drives, powered-up: Machine boots fine shows both drives, boot pool is healthy.

6th: Reinstalled all my storage drives into the machine, 8SSD's for 1 pool, 6HDD's for a 2nd pool. The pools show up healthy everything is good.

7th: Shut down the system& removed 1st boot drive, powered on the machine: Machine posts, then displays the infamous"This is a FreeNAS data disk
and can not boot system. System halted"

8th: Shut down the system & reinstalled 1st boot drive, powered on the machine: Machine posts, then displays the same error message.

9th: Shut down the system, removed all storage drives: Machine posts, loads FreeNAS fine, everything in FreeNAS is okay except all storage pools are degraded (this is normal because the drives are not plugged in)

My expected outcome would be that if i were to remove the boot drive (either of them) from the machine with all my storage drives installed. The system would boot up fine, only if BOTH my boot drives were removed (simulating a failed drive) would i get this error message?

Not sure whats going on.

Possible Issue?
I recall on my 1st run through of the installation, i did install on one of the SSD's that is used as part of the storage pool. Since the SSD is 2TB i bought 2 new ones the PNY's to use for boot pool instead. Then wiped the SSD's in my storage pool when creating it through the FreeNAS UI. Could it be that there is still some part in that drive thats throwing off the system thinking it's a boot drive when it's not? I though the wiping of the drives when creating a pool completely erases everything?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted " error just means that the system BIOS has tried to boot from one of the storage drives, not a boot device. When you are removing devices like that, its possible that your boot-order is getting messed up. Way to fix is it go back into bios and ensure that your boot devices are set to be used first in the boot-order.