Tony0001

Cadet
HP MicroServer N40L
3x 1TB drives
1x 750gb drive
32gb USB boot pen drive
8gb RAM
TrueNAS-12.0-U1

Hello. Long time FreeNAS user and lurker but I am completely stuck at the moment.
A few days ago I was unable to log into my TrueNAS box over the network and when I checked the machine I could hear one of the drives ticking. I have worked in I.T long enough to know that a drive had failed so worked out what one it was (750gb), shut the system down, removed the drive and tested it in a standalone HDD Dock. I ordered a 2TB to replace it and put the old drive back in but didn't power anything up as the system wouldn't boot with the drive in anyway.
Got the new drive and powered the system up with just the 3 1TB drives so I could see what I needed to do next only to see the dashboard showing
Vol1 (the only volume on the system)
Total Disks : Unknown
Pool Status: OFFLINE
Disks w/Errors: Unknown
Used Space: Unknown
and "Data Not Available"
In storage -> Pools it says that Vol1 System Dataset Pool is offline and if I go to its status nothing shows up at all.

I have tried adding the failed 750gig drive again and after leaving it to boot for around 30 mins I can log in but still get the same issues and the drive is not seen in storage -> disks.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Special:CreatePage

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For anyone here to be able to help you, we would need to know how your system was configured. You can look at this post to give you some indication of the type of thing we need to know.

Based on what you have told us, I would only be able to guess that you had created a simple stripe set with no redundancy. In which case, a single disk failure would have destroyed your pool, which is why it is listed as offline.

If you are able to SSH to your system, you can run some troubleshooting steps and paste the results here for us to look at.

When posting formatted text, please use [code] tags to surround your text and close with a [/code] tag so the formatting will be retained. It allows us to see things like this as they should be:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status -v                                                                                         
  pool: NAS                                                                                                                      
state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                  
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An                                                          
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.                                                      
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors                                                        
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.                                                          
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P                                                                                        
  scan: scrub repaired 788K in 1h25m with 0 errors on Sat Jul  9 01:37:34 2016                                                    
config:                                                                                                                          

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                
        NAS                                             DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                
          raidz2-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                
            gptid/da4b033c-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/db5b2629-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/dc7f5445-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  DEGRADED     0     0   196  too many errors                              
            gptid/dd99642d-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/deb99316-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/dfe5d181-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                      

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                              
state: ONLINE                                                                                                                    
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Sat Jul  2 03:46:27 2016                                                        
config:                                                                                                                          

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                    
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                  
          da0p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                    

errors: No known data errors 

Instead of all collapsed like this:

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status -v
pool: NAS
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
scan: scrub repaired 788K in 1h25m with 0 errors on Sat Jul 9 01:37:34 2016
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
NAS DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz2-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
gptid/da4b033c-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/db5b2629-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/dc7f5445-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 DEGRADED 0 0 196 too many errors
gptid/dd99642d-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/deb99316-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/dfe5d181-0ce0-11e6-b23c-d050997eebf5 ONLINE 0 0 0