Boot Pool - Help Required

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Hi all

So, very new to FreeNAS and going slowly with it. Have recently built up a very small set up though by repurposing old kit. The small server I have built does have all new drives though.

I was playing with Plex last night and left the FreeNAS server on. I normally turn it off as it isnt fully ready yet anyway. I received an email alert overnight though saying:

New alerts:
* Boot pool status is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected..

Current alerts:
* Scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' started.
* Scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' finished.
* Boot pool status is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected..

I did some VERY brief research already (not even had my first coffee yet!!) and saw a few reports about WD Green SSDs. Im running two of those in my boot pool (WDC WDS120G2G0A-00JH30 if that helps)

I manually ran a scrub this morning after taking a backup of the config file. This is the result:

New alert:
* Boot pool status is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected..

The following alert has been cleared:

Current alerts:
* Scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' started.
* A system update is available. Go to System -> Update to download and apply the update.
* Scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' finished.
* Boot pool status is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected..

So my question is, what steps should I take next? Do I need to replace those WD Greens, and if so, what with?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Please feel free to move if required.

Last edited:

MalVeauX

Contributor
Heya,

Save your config now.

Then get a USB flash stick out, install FreeNAS on it as if you're going to boot and run from it. Remove your WD Green SSD's. Boot with the Flash stick instead. See what it says about your boot pool after that. That will tell you if you need to explore whether your WD Green SSD's have issues, which you can test elsewhere to see if they're failing.

Very best,

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Heya,

Save your config now.

Then get a USB flash stick out, install FreeNAS on it as if you're going to boot and run from it. Remove your WD Green SSD's. Boot with the Flash stick instead. See what it says about your boot pool after that. That will tell you if you need to explore whether your WD Green SSD's have issues, which you can test elsewhere to see if they're failing.

Very best,
Config already saved.

Install FreeNAS on to USB just like I did for the SSDs? I presume its the same process? And will any old USB flash drive be OK? The WD Greens are brand new and if they've had 10 hours use Id be surprised. After what Ive read, it appears they dont like TRIM too much.

MalVeauX

Contributor
Config already saved.

Install FreeNAS on to USB just like I did for the SSDs? I presume its the same process? And will any old USB flash drive be OK? The WD Greens are brand new and if they've had 10 hours use Id be surprised. After what Ive read, it appears they dont like TRIM too much.

It's exactly as installing on SSD as a flash stick. Just set your BIOS to boot from the SSD. And remove the SSD OS drive(s) or it will conflict for booting purposes. Any old flash stick with sufficient capacity will work for this purpose, it doesn't need high capacity or anything special, this will allow you to test things.

The point is to remove the complexity of your SSD mirror pool as a source of issues. Then you can isolate any other hardware issues.

Very best,