'boot-pool' has been suspended (uncorrectable I/O failure)

joyoftech

Dabbler
Hi all,

New here, config' is there but also below:
- ASrock B550M-ITX
- AMD 3700X
- Corsair H60 AIO
- PNY CS3030 512GB NVME (for jails)
- 128GB San Disk USB (boot) - I planned to mirror it with another USB key (Kingston Data Traveler) but when I attached it to the boot pool, it said it was faulty
- 3*5TB WD RED
- 1*8TB WD White Air (shucked)
- The 4 disks make 1 raidz pool
- 156W AC/DC power brick
- 250W DC/DC PSU
- UDIMM ECC RAM: KSM32ES8/16ME (16GB)

Now, before you roast me for storing the system on USB keys, I know it's not recommended but I needed all SATA ports. I have a backup plan if you tell me the problem comes 100% from those keys.

Everything's fine until it's not: under prolonged load, like restoring my files (7TB) to my new config' over SMB, or sudden seemingly "heavy" load, e.g. mv multi_tb_folder newname, the UI suddenly hangs and everything is unresponsive until I hard-reboot it.
Heading to the messages, I get approx. each second:
Code:
Mar 10 23:59:39 truenas ugen0.5: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
Mar 10 23:59:39 truenas uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
Mar 10 23:59:47 truenas usb_alloc_device: set address 5 failed (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
Mar 10 23:59:47 truenas usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 5 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

And then, when the system hangs, I get:
Code:
Mar 11 00:00:00 truenas Solaris: WARNING: Pool 'boot-pool' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.

In the UI, the boot-pool is marked as ONLINE / healthy and I get no alerts. This happens whether I mirror the system over a second key or not.

Now, usbconfig shows:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <0x1022 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <0x1022 XHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (224mA)
ugen0.2: <EATON Eaton 3S> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (20mA)
ugen0.3: <ASRock LED Controller> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.4: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0aa7> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)

No mention of ugen0.5, so could this be unrelated to the USB key(s)?

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
WARNING: Pool 'boot-pool' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
This may or may not have caused a problem with the OS.

Check zpool status -v and see if you have errors on the boot pool.

Take a config backup as soon as you can in any case. You may find yourself reinstalling at some point.

joyoftech

Dabbler
This may or may not have caused a problem with the OS.

What else?

Take a config backup as soon as you can in any case. You may find yourself reinstalling at some point.
I have plenty of backups, I've had to reinstall already for other reasons...

Output of zpool status -v

Code:
Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@truenas[~]# zpool status -v
  pool: ADIMAJO
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 31.7M in 00:00:04 with 0 errors on Sat Mar  6 20:05:17 2021
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        ADIMAJO                                         ONLINE       0     0 0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/a050950b-72e4-11eb-8e79-a8a1593f4201  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/a0859a32-72e4-11eb-8e79-a8a1593f4201  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/a0908309-72e4-11eb-8e79-a8a1593f4201  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/a0cadfdf-72e4-11eb-8e79-a8a1593f4201  ONLINE       0     0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: NVME
 state: ONLINE
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        NVME                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          gptid/ff6b3a39-73c5-11eb-8e79-a8a1593f4201  ONLINE       0     0     0

pool: boot-pool
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
        the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
  scan: resilvered 0B in 00:15:29 with 0 errors on Wed Mar 10 19:31:49 2021
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool                                       DEGRADED     0     0 0
          mirror-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0 0
            gptid/1740d297-5dad-11eb-9421-0555f2f29729  ONLINE       0     0 0
            da1p2                                       UNAVAIL      0     0 0  cannot open

root@truenas[~]#

So nothing of particular interest (the mirror da1p2 is currently not plugged in, and to me it seems unrelated to my problem).

What about this ugen0.5 that is not reported by usbconfig?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So your boot pool consists of 2 USB sticks... one (ugen1.2) is there and the other is missing, presumably ugen0.5 (which in my opinion is the same as da1, the "missing" drive in the boot pool).

I'm not sure what you expect to find out other than that you need to find a better option than that USB drive which keeps failing.

My suggestion would be a USB to SATA converter and an SSD drive attached to that if you have no free SATA ports.

As far as boot solutions go, that would be reliable enough to eliminate the need for a second one for most people.

joyoftech

Dabbler
I'm not sure what you expect to find out other than that you need to find a better option than that USB drive which keeps failing.
I'm expecting to find out:
  • Is it really a problem related to one of those two keys?
    • Even if it's related to da1, the fact that da0 / ugen1.2 is online as a single boot device should be enough to operate TrueNAS: why would the OS crash? The purpose of mirroring is precisely if one boot fails, the other should make the system work nevertheless...
    • Re-attached da1, ran usbconfig:
Code:
ugen1.3: <Kingston DataTraveler 3.0> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (126mA)

Can I conclude that it's unrelated to the USB keys?
  • If not related to one of the keys, then what?
    • What is ugen0.5? lsusb is not installed; how can I achieve this?
    • How can I disable it?
My suggestion would be a USB to SATA converter and an SSD drive attached to that if you have no free SATA ports.

If it's not related to the USB keys, then doing so wouldn't solve my problem.
If it is, my backup plan was rather to go for a PCIe => Multiple M.2 PCIe slots, e.g. the HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2.
I would have 1 small M.2 for boot, 2 SLOG, 1 L2ARC devices.
How does that sound?

EDIT: also, there's a possibility that the two messages (see 1st post), i.e. the ugen0.5 error, is unrelated to the uncorrectable I/O failure. How could I know more about the latter?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have a look at dmesg | grep ugen0.5

joyoftech

Dabbler
Just one of those system messages:
Code:
ugen0.5: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)

Thanks!

sretalla