Problem with recognising USB Dialup Modem as a cuaUx port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobbler

Cadet
I just installed a USB dialup modem into my Freenas system. I have a jail running NCID and had a external modem connected to the serial COM port (/dev/cuau0) which failed and thus now having to use a USB modem. When I plug the USB modem it is recognised by the system as ugen4.4.

# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <USB-Serial Controller Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen4.2: <Cruzer Facet SanDisk> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (200mA)
ugen4.3: <Cruzer Facet SanDisk> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (200mA)

ugen4.4: <Agere USB2.0 V.92 SoftModem Agere Systems> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (200mA)

Problem is that I can't make ugen4.4 point to a new /dev/cuau0 port. Nothing appears with a 'ls -l /dev/cuau*' with the exception of the original serial COM1 port. Is there anything I need to do to make the system generate a virtual serial port through ugen4.4? I'm thinking I need to make some changes in other files located in /etc but its unclear in my research. I've performed multiple restarts to no avail.

My system is:
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503150158
Platform Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Memory 4067MB
FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p10

Hoping a member has had the same problem and resolved this. Going back to a COM1 solution is not an option unfortunately. So the overall goal is to make the USB port behave like a serial port so I can sent Hayes AT commands through the port. Appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction.

Full system specs are usually more helpful then just the menu in FreeNAS, such as motherboard make/model, harddrives make/model/RAIDzX, etc

You also have half the minimum amount recommended for FreeNAS 9.3.

I also dont have a good feeling about USB com ports + FreeNAS...

danb35

Hall of Famer
In addition to the fact that you have only half the minimum required RAM to run FreeNAS safely, you don't have a real modem. It's a soft modem, which depends on Windows drivers to do most of the actual modem work (i.e., audio modulation and demodulation). I haven't spent a huge amount of time Googling, but the time I have spent fails to find any instance of this device working with FreeBSD.

Gobbler

Cadet
This seems to confirm what I thought. I'd googled this and couldn't see much success either. I understand now that the soft modem will also be a stumbling block and I'll probably have a better chance of resolving this using a full external v92 modem back on the serial port. Might have to look around EBAY for an old dialup modem that supports CID.
Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.