Boot drive Degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspfunk

Dabbler
Sorry I tried to google and search forums. I am new to FreeNas. I have just built the box about 5 days ago. Yesterday I got a critical error boot drive degraded. I Think that means the USB flashdrive I have FreeNas installed on. I wish I could give you screen shots but I am unable to connect to it now. I can still see the mapped drive and all the data on it. I only had one USB drive when I built the server, and bought a new Flashdrive (which came yesterday as fate would have it) to make a mirror boot drive. I am not sure what to do now that I can't even get the GUI to open in windows. Any advice please and thank you.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Connect to ipmi and open the console or plug in a monitor. There will probably be errors on the screen.

For all posts you need to provide your hardware configuration.

jspfunk

Dabbler
Thank you SweeAndLow.

For the System
FreenNas 11.0-U4
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 840
MotherBoard: M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
2x4TB Seagate (being used), 2x1tb Samsung and WD drives (Not being used but ready), Sandisk 120 GB SSD cache drive.

I did plug in the monitor but I really did not see any errors Except "Cam Status: CCB request compliant with errors".

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok well I guess non of this matters. What you need to do is shutdown the system. Remove the bad usb. Install the new usb and reinstall freenas. Then you can upload your config or reconfigure things if you didn't save your config.

As a side note you should remove your cache device it's probably making your system perform worse.

jspfunk

Dabbler
Will this make me lost My data? I have a snapshot but, again I am really new to this, so I don't know if that will be any help. Should I use the SSD as my boot? I read that the USB is really a bad Idea for a boot drive. I would hate to waste the SSD. I did buy a bunch of USB sticks So I think maybe just use 2 of them for now. Sorry to ramble and thanks for your help so far.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Will this make me lost My data?
No, your data isn't stored on your boot device.
Should I use the SSD as my boot?
It would be better than a USB stick. Its capacity is far greater than you need for a boot device, but that won't hurt anything.

jspfunk

Dabbler
Ok, I have reinstalled FreeNas, how do I rebuild my drive without losing Data. Do I import the drives or volume?

jspfunk

Dabbler
Thank you SweetandLow! I have it up and running. Now I need to work on creating a backup to my Boot USB. You were a great help. I was so worried I was going to lose my data.

jspfunk

Dabbler
Sorry danb35, I saw the 1st post was from sweetandlow. I just noticed last night it was you after the 1st one. Thank you for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.