volume state is DEGRADED

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDizzz

Dabbler
I'm admitting I am in over my head. Please help if possible.

Critical message: The volume xxxxxxx state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

freenas 11.1, supermicro X10SLL-F, 3.7ghz i3, 16gb ECC, 4x1tb WD red drives in raidz,

I have no idea what this means. Failing drive? I was inside the case earlier today - could this message be because I knocked a sata cable loose? In "view disks" there appears to be one WD red drive missing. Boot USB stick is still on this list. Help.

melloa

Wizard
I was inside the case earlier today - could this message be because I knocked a sata cable loose?

Yes.

Post output for zpool status

PDizzz

Dabbler

Attachments

• status.png
    status.png
    563.8 KB · Views: 320

melloa

Wizard

Either ssh to your server or from the GUI click on Shell on the left menu. Type the command there. I'm afraid you will need to take a screen shot (or two) based on your question, so change the command to: zpool status | more. That will pause the output in case it has more than fits on the screen.

melloa

Wizard

That's fine. Power off your server, re-seat all SATA cables. Power back on and check.

PDizzz

Dabbler
I reseated all the cables and powered back up, and now the critical message has changed. "The volume ******** state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected." I've attached screenshots of the shell showing pool status.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 11.57.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 11.57.24 PM.png
    625.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 11.57.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 11.57.37 PM.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 284

danb35

Hall of Famer
Scrub your pool (and there isn't the least reason to mask its name, especially since you showed it in your screenshots). Run zpool scrub NASdrive at the shell, and wait for it to complete.

Phil Demand

Dabbler
thank you for your help.

I ran that command, and there is no apparent change. Can you tell me what I should do next?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wait for it to finish. You can check the progress using the Volume Status page in the GUI or using zpool status at the shell. If you have email properly set up, you should get an email notification when it finishes.

PDizzz

Dabbler
Again, thank you for your time. I'm so green at this, it's a miracle this thing worked at all when I built it.
The screen shot is my current zpool status. What now?

Attachments

• screen101.png
    screen101.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 278

Stux

MVP
You’re fine. Congrats

PDizzz

Dabbler
But what about the flashing red critical alert? "The volume NASdrive state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected"

The text wrap in the console window is making it hard to see one of the drives has two cksum errors, you should check the smart stats on all your drives to see if there are any issues with them.

PDizzz

Dabbler
check the smart stats on all your drives to see if there are any issues with them.
Yes. That sounds good. Can you point me to an idiot's guide? I scheduled a short self-test, but I don't know if it went through, and I don't know how to check what results, if any, were produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.