Boot device error unable to boot FN

AVSION

Contributor
Hi,

FN wont start get an error when trying to boot (see attached screenshot from IPMI), i used 2 x 32GB Sandisk Ultrafit USBs as mirror that were installed on the MB Back panel USB inputs. i have tried to remove one of the boot drives and vice versa, one is not recognised at all in the BIOS and the other showing the error but stuck. i also tried the internal USB ports on the MB but getting the same result. the system is just 6 months old very strange that both are faulty, i didn't do any backup of the FN configuration. is there any other troubleshooting we can do to get the system loading? or do i have to do all the configuration from scratch? i have purchased an 256GB SSD to replace the USBs but i would like to know if there is a shorter way first with retrieving the configuration. i assume the DATASTORE is still fine.

Note: this is a system for another project, specs are the same as in my signature (Same MB, Memory, Similar CPU..etc) however its a bare metal system not AIO.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Avsion,

From what you posted, I would say that unfortunately, No, you do not have any other option but to re-do your config. You said that you tried both of your boot devices, that both failed and that you do not have a copy of the config. As such, this config is lost and must be re-created.

And you are also right to assume that the data storage pool is probably fine. You will know once back online, but you should be fine. If there is any problem in the data storage pool, both of the problems are likely not related.

Good luck re-doing your config,

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I agree that it's odd for both USB drives to fail at the same time.
  • Did you schedule periodic scrubs of either USB stick to ensure it's not become corrupted?
  • Have the disks perhaps become so full that they can no longer function for the OS? I remember getting some warnings after an update or two to delete some of the previous FreeNAS instances on my OEM SATADOM boot disk. I eventually upgraded to dual 64GB SATADOM modules to avoid this issue for a long time.
I'm sorry you may have to redo your config and hope your data is fine. It's a good reminder to save the config somewhere safe, regardless of what device it is mounted on (SSD drive, SATADOM, USB, or whatever).

Redcoat

MVP
IF your system dataset is on your pool than you'll be able to find the config file that is backed up daily to /var/db/system/configs-***_very_large_number*** Drill down until you find the latest .db file.

Here's a snip from one of mine using mc:

1562681374623-png.31786

1562681185844-png.31785

AVSION

Contributor
Thanks guys sorry for the late reply, as it was urgent to get it back for production i end up replacing the faulty USBs with intel SSD and redid all the configurations. the pool was fine. Thank you