Best disks layout with full SSDs NAS / Power Management

T13nou

Cadet
Dear all,

I've built last month a full SSDs TrueNas server to perform quietly and with good performance (intel 12100T, 64GB DDR4)

However I'm thinking now of optimizing the performance and also the power management of the server.

I currently run TrueNas Scale as storage (21TB) and 12 docker applications (Plex, NextCloud...)

Current layout
  • 2 x 2TB Nvme SSDs as boot-pool
  • 8 x 4TB SATA SSDs (Crucial MX500) as my main pool powered by LSI 9300-8i HBA for storage and applications

My thinking, that may be wrong, is to consider the main pool as unnecessary power consumption to run applications. In the sense that spinning 8*4TB all at the same time 24/7 can be replaced with only 2x1TB SATA SSDs (or re-use existing NvmeSSD).

Forecasted layout
  • 2 x 2TB Nvme SSDs as boot-pool
  • 8 x 4TB SATA SSDs (Crucial MX500) as my main pool (2 vdevs in Z1)powered by LSI 9300-8i HBA for storage and put power management (is it possible / relevant with SSDs?)
  • 2 x 1TB SATA SSDs as application pool running 24/7

So my questions are
  • Does the target layout is relevant if I want performance & lower consumption ?
  • Can I put power management setup on the main pool with SSDs ? What are the best settings ?
  • Is it better to use boot pool or application pool to make the most of NVme SSDs ?

Thanks for reading me and for your help !

Etienne

mrpasc

Dabbler
You should use your 2x2TB NVME SSDs for your application pool. For the boot pool the 1TB SATA SSDs are more than enough. You could go even lower to somewhat like 240GB or 120GB and move the system dataset to the NVME application pool.

can’t say much regarding power management as I use enterprise grade ssd which doesn’t support that.

mrpasc

Dabbler
Save current config to file, do a fresh install on new ssd, import config would be the easiest way.