Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone

I am new to FreeNAS and have up until now relied on old synology NAS hardware that I could buy on the Danish version of Ebay (yes I have been a cheapskate). Recently my Synology DS409+ powered off on me and I were working on finding a way to get it alive again for a couple of weeks. The reason for the power off I think I narrowed down to the CPU getting too hot (I think because the logging mechanisms in the available version of the Synology SW were not very good), and I therefore bought myself a new set of low-noise fans to install in it. It booted up just fine with the new fans in place, but just after booting the damn thing started beeping at me. The reason for the beeping were that the kind engineers at Synology have been so nice on me to not implement a full control loop of the fans but instead measure the RPMs of the installed fans at different voltages (or PWMs) and then using that for a simple feed forward regulation (you simply calculate the voltage to put on the fan based on which RPM you want). This made the NAS unable to correctly regulate the speed of the two new fans as they, of course, did not have the same characteristics of the old ones (which, by the way, were not on the market anymore). My only choice, if I were to keep using the Synology, were to disable the fan warning and hope that the new fans would not die on me.

Of course I did not want to do this as I use the NAS to store my family photos, and I therefore did not want to risk it (I have, up until now, also been too much of a cheapskate to consider a decent backup strategy, so having the NAS die on me were simply nerve wracking).

I therefore decided to put my days of cheapskating behind me and buy some decent well-tested hardware and install an open-source NAS system on it as I did not want to end up in a place where I could not update either hardware or software. This have been the best choice. The feel of FreeNAS compared to the feel of the Synology differs on all points. FreeNAS is feeling so much more competent and professional than Synology. It feels as though I have the freedom to do almost anything with the OS (as it is based on a normal version of FreeBSD), while still clearly seeing the best practices of the system.

Hope to have much fun playing with my new box, and look forward to many good discussions with you all.

Kind regards

Andreas

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welcome to the land of freedom, where Synology is that overpriced thing we laugh at.

Status
Not open for further replies.