Synology fan on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVitoD

Explorer
But FreeBSD fan even more :p

Just registered, basically to thank Cyberjock for his very clear tutorials :)

And, in order not to rush to a question board to post 'how do I do XYZ?', decided to say 'Hi' here first.

I currently have an 8-bay Synology NAS. It works great, but I am running out of space. I have the choice of either buying a 5-bay expansion unit which will connect to the 8-bay, or sell my 8-bay and buy a 12 bay. These are getting quite expensive, however, and while thinking about what to do I remembered FreeNAS. I had looked at it 2 years ago but decided back then to go with Synology, since this whole 'NAS' thing was all so new for me.

I'm playing (on and off) with FreeBSD on the desktop since I think around 2002. I hope PC-BSD will sometime soon be able to replace my current W7-desktops. I do have a production machine that runs FreeBSD for years, however: my beloved pfSense :D

As such I very love much FreeBSD, and so much that I've even donated to The Foundation multiple times over the years. So, perhaps FreeNAS is able to be the alternative to the rather expensive Synology DS2413+ (12 bays).

But that will take a lot of reading about requirements first, and hence I registed to thank CyberJock for his time to write his tutorials: I am sure they will give me a good starting point.

Bye :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welcome!

You might find that pricing ends up not being too different, but following the recommendations, your FreeNAS server would end up a lot more stable than those Synology boxes.

pfSense seems to be something of a gateway drug to further FreeBSD around here. :D

DVitoD

Explorer
Welcome!

pfSense seems to be something of a gateway drug to further FreeBSD around here. :D

Thank you Eric :D

Well, pfSense is absolutely 'da bomb': I moved away from these retail soho 'all in one' crap plastic 'appliances', with premium prices yet absent customer support. I now have 2 pfSense machines in failover (CARP), dual WAN with fail over, traffic shaping, Snort, automatically updated current threat custom block lists, DNS-forwarder, VLANs, Radius enterprise, VPN, and so on and so forth. Of course I also donated to the good cause, because it is amazing you can get something like this.

I was a little (pleasantly) surprised about this:

You might find that pricing ends up not being too different

That is what I am scared about: the DS2413+, a 12 bay NAS, costs around 1200 USD. I was/am expecting a similar setup with quality hardware to run FreeNAS will be much more expensive.

I only just found the CyberJock documents, I still need to read them. Perhaps they shed more light on what hardware would be suitable. But your remark gives good hoop :D

Bye,

DVitoD

Explorer
My wife is cleaning up the garage; she found a box of 3.5" diskettes (the high capacity, 1.44 MB :cool:) and asked me if she could throw them away or if I perhaps could use them for the new DIY-NAS.

I gave her a be-loved kiss on her cheek, and then grumbled 'go away w'man, go make me food'.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

solarisguy

Guru
My wife is cleaning up the garage; she found a box of 3.5" diskettes (the high capacity, 1.44 MB :cool:) and asked me if she could throw them away [...]
I am still looking for a eco-friendly disposal of thousands of floppies my extended family accumulated over the years...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am still looking for a eco-friendly disposal of thousands of floppies my extended family accumulated over the years...

Fuel for firefighter training?

Status
Not open for further replies.