Hello - A little about me and my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardDrv00

Dabbler
Hello,

I am an electrical engineer that does automation control for my job. I primarily work with PLCs and Windows systems so nothing too useful for a FreeBSD environment.

I started using FreeNAS a year ago with my first build. The new system was replacing a 2-bay Synology that was too slow and had two drives fail over the years. I only created an account after being unable to download the latest recommended hardware guide from the resources. The forums have provided quite a bit of information and some entertainment so I thought I'd share.

The system I built is listed in my signature. The install went fairly smooth except for one disk failing the burn-in tests. I sent it back to Newegg and they replaced it without issue.

The primary use is storage of personal pictures (400 GB), device backups (2.7 TB) and music (300 GB). My backup Synology can't take all my files so everything but the device backups are pushed. Eventually I will build another FreeNAS box and ditch the Synology as backup.

I currently have three jails running: Plex, Syncthing and a UniFi Controller. Plex I rarely use though I've looked into a HDHomeRun to replace my TWC DVR. Syncthing is used to back up our phone pictures when we are at home. The UniFi controller took quite a bit of my time to setup. CJ's guide helped a great deal but I had issues using his compiled package so I directly pulled the mongodb package instead. Towards the end I had issues with adopting the AP within UniFi and had to update snappy-java. I have notes of my install steps but would need to verify them again before I would post.

I recently setup scripts for drive and pool status, system configuration and UPS health. Now I get SMART emails just like with my Syno.

Here are a few threads I used, thanks for posting them.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Welcome to the forums!
The install went fairly smooth except for one disk failing the burn-in tests.
Seems like 100% success to me. It failed burn-in instead of in production, because you did your homework and did everything right.
:cool:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the madhouse! Sounds like you're off to a good start. As a fellow EE nerd, you probably recognize this:
euler-01.gif

HardDrv00

Dabbler
As a fellow EE nerd, you probably recognize this:
View attachment 14858

I will admit I stared for a bit because of the i instead of a j but thanks for the flashback. It's been 12 years now so most of those memories were pushed aside.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I will admit I stared for a bit because of the i instead of a j but thanks for the flashback. It's been 12 years now so most of those memories were pushed aside.
Yeah, those pesky mathematicians seem to prefer i instead of j, but they didn't have to deal with current, did they? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.