Basic install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figley

Cadet
Greetings,
I am new to FreeNAS and before I undertake the install I have a question or two.
1. I understand that the flash drive contains the op.sys. for NAS. Does that mean that after the install it must remain in the computer in order the machine to run?
2. Once I complete the setup will machine I setup to run FreeNAS only have FreeNAS on it? (I am planning on using a relatively new, but unwanted Windows machine for this project.)
3. Will I be able to access this unit via the internet from other locations or is it specifically designed for those on the actual network to access it?

I realize these are simple questions, but the simple questions are what is holding me back.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Figley

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Greetings,
I am new to FreeNAS and before I undertake the install I have a question or two.
1. I understand that the flash drive contains the op.sys. for NAS. Does that mean that after the install it must remain in the computer in order the machine to run?
Yes
2. Once I complete the setup will machine I setup to run FreeNAS only have FreeNAS on it? (I am planning on using a relatively new, but unwanted Windows machine for this project.)
Yes unless you install some plugins or other software in jails.
3. Will I be able to access this unit via the internet from other locations or is it specifically designed for those on the actual network to access it?
It's designed as a network file server. It is strongly suggested that you not open the webGUI to the internet. If you MUST access it remotely do it through a VPN.

melloa

Wizard

FreeNAS is a Network Attached Server with lots (and lots) of possibilities. FreeNAS 9.x allow you to install several plugins and/or build your own using jails (kind a FreeBSD machine inside of it and you can have many of them). FreeNAS 10 is moving away from jails, into Dockers and virtualization with bhyve, so again you can create several different applications using the server.

With that said, you open access to your applications, not to your server, as you want to keep it as secure as possible. You can run some sort of cloud drive and share files with your family and friends, media server for video, music, and pictures, etc. Those you open internet access to, not the server.

Hope to see you around, but will suggest you doing some reading on the resources available here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Greetings,
Welcome to the forums!

The answer to your first question has some nuances. When you install FreeNAS from one USB drive (the 'installation drive') to another USB drive (the 'target drive'), you end up with FreeNAS installed on the 'target drive', and may then remove the 'installation drive', leaving you with just one USB drive in the system - the 'target'. This will be the drive from which FreeNAS boots, and you need to set it as the boot device in your system BIOS.

All clear? :)

Glorious1

Guru

JackShine

Dabbler
Consider FreeNAS as constructing a mass storage device that is stable.
I wouldn’t use it as anything else.
All this jail shite is rubbish.
Use other PCs to play, work with.
Consider the NAS box as storage.
Storage.
Storage.
Its all about storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glorious1

Guru
Consider Freenas as constructing a mass storage device that is stable.
I wouldn’t use it as anything else.
All this jail crape is rubbish.
Use other PCs to play, work with.
Consider the NAS box as storage.
Storage.
Storage.
Its all about storage.
Ummm, why . . . not? This is nothing more than an opinion with no rationale.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is nothing more than an opinion with no rationale.
Agreed. Certainly FreeNAS is a stable storage device, but it can do much more than just provide storage across the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.