Bare metal or proxmox?

szymon1051

Cadet
I have a Fujitsu Siemens RX300 server, all disks are on one controller.
What is better for bare metal - installing truenas or maybe proxmox and virtual with truenas?
Proxmox is the only problem that I won't be able to passtruth controller, because all disks together with proxmox are on one controller.
I'm considering proxmox because the server has relatively high power for a NAS and could be used for something else.
I haven't used virtual machines on truenas and I don't know if they work well.

chuck32

Guru

Can you share the specs of your specific server?

I'm using scale and overall I am pretty content with the virtualization. Personally I'd prefer a bare metal installation.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
RX300 S-what exactly? And what is this controller? Fujitsu (Siemens) have been notoriously using LSI chipsets but shipping proprietary firmware that cannot be cross flashed to IT mode. If this is a RAID controller you cannot use the system for TrueNAS.

szymon1051

Cadet
I change to Fujitsu D2607-A21 they have JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Drives) mode to passtruth to system.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So called JBOD mode does not qualify. Only IT mode firmware does.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If this controller firmware offers a choice of RAID or JBOD mode it will not work with TrueNAS. And if you manually flashed it to IT firmware, you should know, right? And to my knowledge Fujitsu-Siemens controllers cannot be flashed with stock LSI firmware so you probably did not.

So better get a different controller and disable the on-board one.

szymon1051

Cadet
I bought the second one with JBOD because I wanted to have disks directly visible in proxmox and not virtual ones.
I have two RAID cards.
I didn't flash them, I just bought them.
Is there any way I can check if they have this HBA mode?

I also have a connector on the motherboard, I think it's SFF-8087, which will support probably 6 drives.
Is this HBA on the motherboard?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If they have a menu that lets you chose RAID or JBOD they are definitely not HBA. HBA is not a mode. It's a specific type of firmware that completely eliminates all RAID functions. But if they are separate cards you can probably flash them. Start with the link I posted.

If the on-board controller can be set to "AHCI" in the BIOS setup tool it will probably be ok.